Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Unable to select multiple choice answers

• BBCMResearch
  • BBCMResearch's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 9 months ago #137219 by BBCMResearch
Unable to select multiple choice answers was created by BBCMResearch
My current survey in LS Version 2.50+ Build 160504, contains several multiple choice questions, and they work fine when I test it in Firefox, Chrome, and IE. However, when my client tests the survey, likely in an older version of Internet Explorer, they are unable to select the check boxes next to an answer. A dotted line will appear around the box when they click it, but no check mark will appear to indicate the answer has been selected.

LS still captures the response in its data, however, it's confusing for survey respondents, many of whom are older and less computer illiterate and assume that their answers have not been recorded. Any idea what's going on?
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 9 months ago #137221 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Unable to select multiple choice answers
Do you use a modified template? Mention a few browser versions where you can reproduce the issue.
And since a new build of LS 2.5+ is released nearly every day you might test the survey with the newest build. Perhaps the issue is already fixed.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • BBCMResearch
More
7 years 9 months ago #137222 by BBCMResearch
Replied by BBCMResearch on topic Unable to select multiple choice answers
Thanks. I also thought the template might be the culprit, but I switched back to the LS default template, and the client still says the problem persists in IE, I'm guessing IE 11, but they haven't specified. Will try to push for an update to our server. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep this thread updated if the error persists or is resolved.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 9 months ago #137226 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Unable to select multiple choice answers
Hi,

I don't think it can be IE11, but maybe IE7 or 8. Try to know the IE version of your client. Then a dev can test with same verson.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • BBCMResearch
More
7 years 9 months ago #137263 by BBCMResearch
Just checked with my client. They are using IE 11.0.31. I'm still awaiting our IT department to install the latest LS update. Any chance a dev can help me out?
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 9 months ago #137274 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Unable to select multiple choice answers
I mean : if it same with last version : report a bug : www.limesurvey.org/community-services/bug-tracker

Any chance a dev can help me out?

You ask professionnal support for a free tool ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 9 months ago #137280 by jelo

BBCMResearch wrote: Just checked with my client. They are using IE 11.0.31. Any chance a dev can help me out?

How could a dev help you out? The result of any help would be an update for LS. Currently you ware waiting for an LS update, right?
Since IE 11.0.31 is a uptodate version of IE, where you able to reproduce the error trying it on your own?

I wasn't able to reproduce the error with IE 11.3.31 under Windows 7.
I used the demo installation on Limesurvey.org.

Are the clients with these problems in one network? It could be a proxy/cache issue.
Try to use a different template and copy the survey and activate it again. Now you have a different URL with a different template.
Check again if the issue is occurring with your client.

• BBCMResearch
More
7 years 9 months ago #137302 by BBCMResearch
See screenshot to visualize what my client is experiencing:

My IT director was finally able to reproduce the error, even after installing the latest comfort update. He tracked it down to the following issue in Internet Explorer:

If you select the Settings Icon --> Internet Options --> Security --> Custom Level, look for a setting called "Allow scripting of Microsoft web browser control"
Checkboxes will not work if that is not enabled nor would you get any warning about Javascript not being enabled because Javascript can be enabled while this feature is blocked.

I'm not sure why that would not be enabled, but it seems to be not uncommon among many of our clients.
  • holch
More
7 years 9 months ago #137304 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Unable to select multiple choice answers
Yes, the IE and it's security features is something unexplicable... ;-)

Quick solution: Go for a template that is using the standard browser elements for radiobuttons and checkboxes. This is the case for most older templates, while the new standard templates all seem to use this feature. However, the older templates did not work out of the box in the new system. But I think this has changed. I think Denis knows more about this.

Then it would be great if you could make a bug report. I am not 100% sure if it is actually a bug and can be resolved other than change the browser setting, but maybe it can. So if you can make a bug report, the developers can decide if this is something they can change or not.

What surpises me though: There are people out there using IE???? ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 9 months ago #137306 by jelo

BBCMResearch wrote: If you select the Settings Icon --> Internet Options --> Security --> Custom Level, look for a setting called "Allow scripting of Microsoft web browser control"

I had that option disabled when doing my test and the screenshot.

So I cannot reproduce the issue. Question is what have your clients and your IT directors setup of IE in common.
This looks a bit more complex since "disabled" is the default setting for the Internet. Only on Intranet and in the local zone this setting is enabled.

• BBCMResearch
More
7 years 9 months ago #137316 by BBCMResearch
Thanks everyone for help with this. I plan to file a bug report shortly. Holch/Denis - might either of you be able to direct me to where I might find an older template to test this out?

Quick solution: Go for a template that is using the standard browser elements for radiobuttons and checkboxes. This is the case for most older templates, while the new standard templates all seem to use this feature. However, the older templates did not work out of the box in the new system. But I think this has changed. I think Denis knows more about this.

• holch
More
7 years 9 months ago #137318 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Unable to select multiple choice answers
Denis has a pretty good template for 2.06 and before (Skeletonquest).

limesurvey.org/index.php?option=com_sobi...templates&Itemid=729

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose