Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

moreAccessibility

More
7 years 5 months ago #144498 by lstrange
Replied by lstrange on topic moreAccessibility
I know this thread primarily focuses on this template and its survey output being accessible and this may likely be a separate topic, but can anyone speak to the accessibility of the Limesurvey admin interface in developing surveys? I have a blind user that is looking to switch to a different survey software and I am checking on the accessibility of Limesurvey. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu's Avatar Topic Author
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 5 months ago #144508 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic moreAccessibility

lstrange wrote: I know this thread primarily focuses on this template and its survey output being accessible and this may likely be a separate topic, but can anyone speak to the accessibility of the Limesurvey admin interface in developing surveys? I have a blind user that is looking to switch to a different survey software and I am checking on the accessibility of Limesurvey. Thanks.

Hi,

I don't think actual version is really accessible, must be tested.

But your right on 2 points:
1. public part and admin part MUST be accessible
2. public and admin part accessibility are really different objectives (not same developper, not same prodution, not same system)

Then : i think the best solution is :
- Open/create a new topic about admin accessibility
- Create bug for admin accessibility if there are (we already fix bug for admin accessibility when it happend : i don't know if 2.5X is better than 2.6 for admin accessibility).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 3 months ago #146635 by cortxdp
Replied by cortxdp on topic moreAccessibility
Hi,

I've been testing the 2.5x version without your plugin and I notice the extensive use of aria attributes instead of native tag and attributes. The use of aria-group instead of <fieldset>/<legend> or the use of aria-labeledby instead of <label for=...>. I would have liked that these elements were put in the core instead of a plugin since it's some basic form building practices.

2. Notes on ARIA use in HTML
2.1 First rule of ARIA use
If you can use a native HTML element [HTML51] or attribute with the semantics and behaviour you require already built in, instead of re-purposing an element and adding an ARIA role, state or property to make it accessible, then do so.
www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-aria-in-html-20150521/

I do not want to be rude but I think that it's a step backward in this regard.
I will reactivate your plugin and test it with this version.

Thanks
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago #146647 by DenisChenu

cortxdp wrote: I've been testing the 2.5x version without your plugin and I notice the extensive use of aria attributes instead of native tag and attributes. .....

I think 2.5X must not be used for accessibility. It's the reason why i completly rewrite all HTML fror develop/3.0 version, see tinyurl.com/z4fjkt2 , and about label : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=11449

I do not want to be rude but I think that it's a step backward in this regard.

I think same about 2.5X. Hope 3.0 are really beter than 2.5X and 2.6

I will reactivate your plugin and test it with this version.

No need : i know it don't work : framagit.org/SondagePro-LimeSurvey-plugi.../issues/8#note_41662

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
More
7 years 3 months ago #146687 by cortxdp
It's good to know. Thanks you for your work.

Is there a planned release date for V3.0? I have to know because we have survey release coming and we must be W3C compliant. If possible we would like not to have to patch our survey.

Many thanks
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago #146688 by DenisChenu
Hi , Carsten spoke of January for alpha release.

You can do some test on some question type here testing.sondages.pro/answershtml/

The home page are broken currently but question must work

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #146692 by cortxdp
I tested some radio buttons and checkboxes types of question.
There's an error with the use of role="radio-group". The correct attribute does not have an "-". You need to use role="radiogroup" for the screenreader to tell that this is a group.

This is the case every time it is used instead of the fieldset/legend tags for radio buttons.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by cortxdp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago #146695 by DenisChenu
Arg ... sorry ... fix it before tomorrow evening

• DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #146696 by DenisChenu
OK, fixed.

Some question :
  • Trying to use role="radiogroup" in arry by columns where radiogroup are on col tag : Test link . An advice here ?
  • Ok to use role="radiogroup" inside a role group test link Here with single choice with comment
  • Using 2 role=group with each 2 different aria-labelledby + input with label is OK ? It's better to understand ? If i don't make error : form in table are better with aria-label/described etc ... then with table description. (than the plugin too) Test link with array number

I think next plugin just add arai-describedby help .
And maybe some aria-live for the questions with condition

Still no idea for map and upload question type

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: ul li
More
7 years 3 months ago #146699 by cortxdp
Thanks for the fix.

DenisChenu wrote: OK, fixed.

Some question :

• Trying to use role="radiogroup" in arry by columns where radiogroup are on col tag : Test link . An advice here ?

Many things going on with this type of question.
The question is in the column header and the response choices are in the row headers wich is not like natural tabulation order.
There is no html structure to rely on when using radiogroup. The opposite (type f), question in the row header and response choice in the columns header, is easier beacause you can use radiogroup on each <td>. Because this type of question (H) does not function like native table read order (left to right), I would not use it at all. I would use type F instead.

I do not see a way to use this type of question with a screen reader without repeating the question for each response.
Things I would change.
1. Radiogroup sould not be used in <colgroup>. W3C state explicitly that colgroup is used for formating www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_colgroup.asp . radiogroup is a semantic attrribute.
2. The hidden label for each radio button repeat the question. I would use aria-labelledby on the input instead and pointing to : First the question and second the response (aria-labelledby="id_column_header id_row_header »)
3. I would drop the title attribute on <td>

Example in file attached

File Attachment:

File Name: TypeH.txt
File Size:6 KB
Attachments:
More
7 years 3 months ago #146700 by cortxdp

DenisChenu wrote: OK, fixed.

Some question :

• Ok to use role="radiogroup" inside a role group test link Here with single choice with comment

Work great for me.. and for my screen reader.
Liste avec commentaire groupage
Un exemple d'option de réponse bouton radio coché 1 sur 5
[tab]
Veuillez saisir votre commentaire ici: édition multiligne
vide
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago #146711 by DenisChenu

2. The hidden label for each radio button repeat the question. I would use aria-labelledby on the input instead and pointing to : First the question and second the response (aria-labelledby="id_column_header id_row_header »)

It used for phone view too, not specific for accessibility.

For title : it's for an helper with mouse ... hard to combine help for mouse and accessibility :/. title are updated live with javascript. Maybe use directly javascript tooltip (hidden for screenreader).

With id : SubQuestionId for "column header' and AnswerId for line header, maybe something like this :
Code:
<table role="group">
<thead>
  <tr>
    <td></td>
    <th id="SubQuestionId-1">Sub question 1</th>
    <th id="SubQuestionId-2">Sub question 2</th>
  </tr>
</thead>
<tbody>
  <tr>
    <th aria-hidden="true">
      Answer
    </th>
    <td data-tooltip="Sub Question 1">
      <input type="radio" aria-describedby="SubQuestionId-1" name="subsuestion1"/>
      <label class="sr-only">Sub question 1</label>
    </td>
    <td data-tooltip="Sub Question 2">
      <input type="radio" aria-describedby="SubQuestionId-2" name="subsuestion2"/>
      <label class="sr-only">Sub question 2</label>
    </td>
  </tr>
</tbody>
</table>

Thanks for testing :)

Denis
PS : Fang don't show role group separation, do you know a good alternative ?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose