Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Custom Limesurvey Themes 2.05+ don't work with Version 2.50+?

• sternDesSuedens
  • sternDesSuedens's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #130842 by sternDesSuedens
Hey there,
We made a fresh installation, using the stable Version 2.50+ Build 160204. Now I want to use themes we customized for 2.05+ Build 150520.
When I import them, no error message appears, but the imported themes can not be assigned with a survey. In theme-editor is no text shown inside the code-window, the preview at the bottom of the page shows the default theme, even though i selected one of the freshly imported ones. This also happens with stock 2.05 themes like 'citronade'.

Is there no compatibility between those different theme versions? Why is no error shown? What might be a possible solution?

Thanks for your advice
sternDesSuedens
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 1 month ago #130849 by holch
Yes, there seems to be a clear cut to the previous versions of Limesurvey.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• sternDesSuedens
  • sternDesSuedens's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #130853 by sternDesSuedens
Well, i can't find any information about this incompatibilty in the update informations ( manual.limesurvey.org/Upgrading_from_a_p...ion#Before_you_start ...), neither did limesurvey itself throw any errors when importing the old themes.
More
8 years 1 month ago #130861 by Ben_V
@sternDesSuedens just open the default template of a new and previous LS release and compare contents... There are some important changes (e.g. all pstpl files are now located in a subfolder)

Check the forum next week for some relevant infos about this new version

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
8 years 1 month ago #130872 by nwinter
Is the new template format/syntax/etc. documented somewhere?
More
8 years 1 month ago #130875 by Ben_V
As far as I know... NO

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
  • holch
More
8 years 1 month ago #130877 by holch
I don't like how this new release is handled. I am all for clean cuts. After a few years, this is sometimes necessary, even if some people don't like it. But it needs to be communicated. You can't just throw out a release, even pushing it via the ComfortUpdate and leave people in the "rain" with it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V
  • holch
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #130878 by holch
And the worst part: Even people who regularily help out on the forum are not informed. So we also can't help.

At the moment we are just flying blind. I guess I take a few weeks off from the forum support and see what happens... ;-)

Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by holch.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #130879 by LouisGac
Hi,

It should be possible to adapt old survey template with the new system without too much difficulties.
We're working on it for the future.

Here basically the work that must be done (you can help with it) :

1. All the question types, less arrays, have now separated views :
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/ma...ews/survey/questions

In a close future, this will give the possibility to any LimeSurvey user with some skill in PHP/JS/CSS to add new question rendering, with its own HTML, JS files, and CSS, and to share them as question modules.

Have a look to the YES/NO question or GENDER question and their new question attribute to see how it works. Basically, for gender question, you can see that we added new 'button' views :
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/ma...vey/questions/gender

accessible via the 'display' question attribute.

2. So, we must finish to export the array question HTML to view

3. Then we must add the old question HTML of 2.0x as views accessible via a display option

For now, I will advise you just to build new template on the base of one of the new ones. They use Bootstrap (easy to use), and are fully responsive.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by LouisGac.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #130880 by LouisGac
by the way, the new release is not pushed via comfortUpdate. We don't want to push old LimeSurvey users to move from 2.06 to 2.5 for now.

2.5 is available as a release for new users. So you can just stay with 2.06 to avoid any conversion problem.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #130883 by LouisGac
Also, sorry for the lack of communication about the new release of 2.5.

We're deeply into correcting the last bugs (no critical ones), bugs that have been reported thanks to this release.

Once this is done, and before we offer 2.5 update via comfortUpdate, I'll write a full article about it.

I'll write some tutorials about how to create new templates (with/without bootstrap), how to create question modules (new question rendering for existing question types, with custom HTML, CSS, and JS), and I will update the wiki.
  • holch
More
8 years 1 month ago #130884 by holch
@Lous: When I say "pushed" with ComfortUpdate I mean it is prominently offered. But I have seen that this is actually wrong.

Still, I am not sure if the way 2.5 is released is not a little problematic, especially as there are some cuts in terms of backwards compatibility.

People are always eager for new releases and sometimes they just go for it without checking it out beforehand. As there isn't really a release information, they are not warned about what will not work with older stuff like the templates.

I will play around with my 2.5 test installation tonight. First thing to get rid of: The huge, totally unnecessary Limesurvey logo on the main page which is taking up a lot of space and leads to the fact that on my notebook screen not everything is displayed. ;-)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose