Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

randomized survey experiment Amazon Mechanical Turk

• emisilvi
  • emisilvi's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 1 month ago #147606 by emisilvi
Can I use limesurvey in Amazon Mechanical Turk? can I also send two surveys at the same time and allow people to do randomly survey A OR survey B and noone should do both surveys?
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 1 month ago #147607 by Ben_V
Hi,
regarding your 1st question... the answer seems to be "yes"
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/778...-to-an-external-site

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 1 month ago #147609 by holch
I don't know how will handle your two surveys.

What you can do is create 1 survey and have all questions in this survey. Then at the beginning you create a random number in an equation an based on this random number you show / hide the respective questions / question groups.

So the answer should be yes, but to give you more information you need to explain a little more.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• emisilvi
More
7 years 1 month ago #147620 by emisilvi
Thank you Ben for answering me so quickly! Another same question: do you know whether I can use the free version of limesurvey up to 500 answers on a survey which includes 30 questions? In other words, each person should asnwer to 30 questions and this is one survey but I need 500 people answering in Amazon mechanical turk. If not then how can I do?
  • emisilvi
More
7 years 1 month ago #147623 by emisilvi
Thank you Holch as well for spending some time and answering me. I will try now to explain it better by making an example.

Survey A
"The American Heart Association recommends no more than 9 teaspoons (tsp) of added sugar a day for men and 6 for women. One small glass of strawberry smoothie (real whole fruit and 100% juice) contains 17 tsp of sugar."
How healthy do you think it is to drink one large glass of strawberry smoothie made with real whole fruit and 100% juice?
very unhealthy unhealthy healthy very healthy

Survey B
How healthy do you think it is to drink one large glass of strawberry smoothie made with real whole fruit and 100% juice?
very unhealthy unhealthy healthy very healthy

The main difference between the two surveys is that one has some health information and then the question while the other one has no information but just the quesiton. I want to send both surveys at the same time but each person who wants to fill my survey can fill only one of the surveys, not both. In this way I want to see how people answers if they get more information on a topic. I want to see whether having a more complete information makes people answer differently. this is the reason why a person should not fill both but just one of the two surveys.
so, person 1 can fill survey A while person 2 survey B and person 3 survey A and person 4 survey B and so on and so forth.
Thank you in advance for your time.
  • emisilvi
More
7 years 1 month ago #147624 by emisilvi
Another thing: can I do all this on free limesurvey? Each survey has 30 questions and I need 500 people to answer (250 on survey A and 250 on survey B). If not, how can I do?
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #147628 by holch

do you know whether I can use the free version of limesurvey up to 500 answers on a survey which includes 30 questions?

Limesurvey itself has no limitations on answers, questions, etc. (only the server and the database will pose some technical limits at some point).

So if you install Limesurvey on your own server, then yes you can have as many surveys with as many questions and as many respondents as you wish or the hard- and software of your server will allow.

Now if you are referring to the hosted version of Limesurvey provided by the Limesurvey GmbH, there are limits to the number of respondents in each package. The free package allows 25 responses per month. So if you need 500 filled in questionnnaires you have to spread your survey over 20 months. Not very practical. So there are two options: go with the basic package that gives you 1000 answers per month or you install Limesurvey on your own server if you have one.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #147630 by holch
Well, you say you send the survey, so I assume you have a contact list for now, even if you didn't answer that question.

You can create one survey for this, with a total of 3 questions. The first question is an equation that create a random number of either 1 or 2, then you have the two questions you want to ask. Via relevance equation you show either one or the other question, depending on the number randomly drawn in the the equation question. E.g. if "1" show question 1, if "2" show question two. It is all in one link/survey but every participant answers only one of the options.

• emisilvi
More
7 years 1 month ago #147634 by emisilvi
Hello Holch, sorry for not answering to the previous question. Yes, I kind of have a list, in a sense that, amazon mechanical turk will find for me the people to fill the survey and I will pay those people so the only thing that I need from limesurvey is to create an online survey and collect the data. I don't need limesurvey to find the people for me because mechanical turk is already doing it. I will simply put on mechanical turk a URL link of the survey and then in one day I get all answers. My concern is: will limesurvey show me all answers even if I do the free version? If not, will limesurvey show me the results with the basic?
I understood how to do with the random number, but I need that all the questions of survey A, should be done by person 1 and all the questions of survey B from person 2.
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #147637 by holch
Oh, sorry, my mistake. I somehow ignored the mechanical turk part.

I understood how to do with the random number, but I need that all the questions of survey A, should be done by person 1 and all the questions of survey B from person 2.

Works exactly how I described it. The random number defines which route to go, then you need to set the relevance equations / conditions to only show the questions relevant for this route. If you have two surveys, there is no way that Limesurvey can know if the respondent did already the other one. So if you go for two separate surveys you would need to find a solution in Mechanical Turk on how to determine which route / survey each respondent should go down. If you simply post both links they can fill in both. But that is then rather a MT problem than a LS problem.

The question about the free version I think I have answered quite detailed. Short answer: if you refer to the hosted service free package: no, you can't do 500 filled in surveys in one month.

Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by holch.
  • emisilvi
More
7 years 1 month ago #147638 by emisilvi
ok, I got it now. I have clearer ideas. One last question: if I pay for the basic package and I run the survey on MTurk and 500 people answers to it in one day (each survey is made of 30 questions so the total of answers that I will get is 15000), then, will Limesurvey give me all the results on next day? I don't want to wait one month if people has already answered.
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #147641 by holch
This is actually a question you should direct to the support system of the professional/premium packages. But I can already answer at least something. I think you got the concept "answer" or better "responses" wrong.

As a response counts one full response of a questionnaire. So if 500 people fill in your questionnaire from the beginning to the end, these are 500 full responses. You should be able to download these responses at any time. You should read how responses are counted here: www.limesurvey.org/services --> "How are responses counted?"

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose