Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Panel Integration Not Saving parameter

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 4 months ago #145121 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Panel Integration Not Saving parameter
In general, I usually use Group by Group mode, even if I want to show question by question. Why? Because you can use hidden questions and equations on the same page as some questions and if there are smaller questions e.g. demographics you can also show them on the same page.

It is a little bit more work, but well worth it in many cases. Unfortunately you then can't really use question groups for logical grouping anymore, as you use it more as a "page" construct, which does not exist in Limesurvey at the moment.

Would be great to have "groups" and "pages" at the same time in Limesurvey one day.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.
  • teracomp
  • teracomp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #145122 by teracomp
Replied by teracomp on topic Panel Integration Not Saving parameter
Am I to understand your recommendation is to have a group for each question?

One survey I'm releasing has 20 questions, so that would be manageable, but most have closer to 100 questions. I'm not sure I appreciate the advantage. Can you help me understand? A few examples, perhaps?

I'm planning to offer 10 to 20 surveys in 2017 for individuals or organizations, the latter will have premium support for reporting, etc. I'd really like to be smart on LimeSurvey. :)

Dave Phillips
  • holch
More
7 years 4 months ago #145123 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Panel Integration Not Saving parameter
If you always and ever want to show ONLY question by question, then my recommendation might not be necessary. But often it happens that you want to have more than one question on one "page", e.g. one is hidden and only appears when a certain response is given (for further comments, or more detailed probing). If you use question by question, you can't do this.

As there is no real "page" concept, you can only simulate this by using a group for each "page" you want. So it might happen that you have many groups that actually have just 1 question, just to be able to have some "pages"/groups where you can show more than one question.

It also helps with expressions sometimes. If you plan on only having 1 question per page for your questionnaire, then my suggestion might not be interesting.

Example:

I often ask things like gender, age, etc. on one page, because it feels like a waste to have this on various pages. Sometimes it is also benefitial to have on two questions on one page for methodological reasons. E.g. one text display to explain something or show a text, then a rating question and then an importance question and then maybe some comments. If you do this page by page, people might not remember the text, or a picture, etc. And of course it is quicker when you don't have to load a page for each question (for users). So I think it is important to plan ahead with your questionnaire and decide how to structure it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: teracomp
  • teracomp
  • teracomp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 4 months ago #145124 by teracomp
Replied by teracomp on topic Panel Integration Not Saving parameter
Excellent! Thanks for explaining the concept further. I get it now. One of the features I was looking for was to show some groups Question by Question while other groups all at once. By using your approach, I can achieve the feature.

Dave Phillips

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose