Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Panel Integration Not Saving parameter

• teracomp
  • teracomp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145028 by teracomp
Panel Integration Not Saving parameter was created by teracomp
Before I submit this as a bug, I wanted to be sure I'm not doing something wrong.

I have a page that collects information, creates a user, then sends that user to the survey I created. The link looks like this:
Code:
URL on the way in: https://url.example.com?token=dummyuser&userid=8
On the survey, I created an optional longtext question that is hidden, then used Panel Integration to capture userid.
On the Panel Integration section, when I save userid, mapped to the userid question, the page refreshes and there is text that indicates all has been saved, but when I return to the Panel Integration pane, it is blank (see screenshot).

For the end URL, I provided this link, but {PASSTHRU:userid} is blank, nothing shows up at all:
Code:
https://targeturl.example.com/app/#/submission/{SAVEDID}/{PASSTHRU:userid}
The result for the link above was:
Code:
Link created on the way out: https://targeturl.example.com/app/#/submission/5/
I looked up the field name in the database (to be sure data was actually getting there) and changed the end url to:
Code:
https://hgctools.example.com/app/#/submission/{SAVEDID}/{INSERTANS:996399X60X2868}
That code works, but only after trying several revisions, there are 4 null entries for the first attempts.

I've attached the lss survey I'm using to test this out before deploying to a much larger instrument. Greatly appreciate some advice here.

Dave Phillips
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: Usage of example.com please
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145042 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Panel Integration Not Saving parameter

...but when I return to the Panel Integration pane, it is blank (see screenshot).

I have no problem with the latest version (2.56.1). Please update and retest before filing a bug report.

For the end URL, I provided this link, but {PASSTHRU:userid} is blank, nothing shows up at all:

If you've saved to a question with code "userid", I'm not sure you need the "PASSTHRU:" bit. Try:
Code:
https://targeturl.example.com/app/#/submission/{SAVEDID}/{userid}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: Usage of example.com please
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #145044 by teracomp
Replied by teracomp on topic Panel Integration Not Saving parameter
I did update: Version 2.56.1+161118, but I didn't clear my cache. Rookie mistake. Once I cleared the cache, the Panel Integration section shows up correctly. I'll test to verify, but I suspect that was the issue.

I'm interested in your second statement. If I supply a variable on the querystring that matches a question code, does this added to the survey response?

Dave Phillips
  • tpartner
More
7 years 3 months ago #145046 by tpartner
My second statement refers to the end URL, not the survey URL. I made the assumption that in Panel Integration, you mapped a "userid" parameter to a "userid" question.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #145047 by teracomp
Yes indeed, I mapped it to the userid question and it was working even though it didn't show up in the Panel Integration section. I added it back now (after clearing cache) and it now shows up as {PASSTHRU:userid} as well as {INSERTANS:996399X60X2868}.

It appears that I can populate question answers with query vars. I didn't know that was feature. Is this a valid assumption?

To test, I added {PASSTHRU:username} and it shows up on the end URL as expected. That's good, but can I display {PASSTHRU:username} on the welcome screen?

I tried that and EM marks it in red and, of course, it doesn't work as a result. I also tried to see {userid} and {PASSTHRU:userid}, but those don't appear on the welcome screen either.

Dave Phillips
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #145048 by teracomp
For what it's worth, I've been reading: manual.limesurvey.org/URL_fields#Prefill...d_hidding_the_answer to find the answer.

It appears that I should be able to see {userid} within the survey since it's included as a question code and a Panel Integration param by adding {userid.shown}, but this userid does not appear...which makes me believe {username.shown} will not work as well, even when i map it to the longText question field.

I guess I should stop adding to this thread since my question is now, how do I show Panel Integration vars within the survey.

Dave Phillips
  • tpartner
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145050 by tpartner

...how do I show Panel Integration vars within the survey.

You can simply use the Expression Manager variable for the question that the parameter is stored in (in this case, "userid").

See the attached survey. It has the panel integration we have discussed. If you append ?userid=12345 to the survey URL, it will:
1) be recorded in the "userid" question
2) be shown in an text-display question
3) be appended to the end URL.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...-6-7.lss
File Size:14 KB

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: teracomp
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #145052 by teracomp
Thanks for the details. I see how it works and I'll be able to implement it appropriately.

The only place this doesn't work is on the Welcome screen. This is odd to me, but I can change my workflow to hide the welcome screen and create a text question with the welcome info. I'll also create text questions for each parameter to allow me to show the username.

Dave Phillips
  • tpartner
More
7 years 3 months ago #145057 by tpartner
It doesn't work on the welcome screen because the param has not been loaded into a question yet (no questions exist at that point).

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #145115 by teracomp
I've been working for hours on this seemingly simple issue. Still no joy.
Here is the process. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.
I imported your Test 1 survey and changed it from Group By Group to Question By Question. That's the only change. Activate the survey, create dummy user, modify the token, run the test and everything works fine.
I modified the survey to add a username, hide the group, added a results group to simulate the survey (attached)
Activate the survey, create dummy user, etc., run the test an nothing works. No userid, no username.
hgctools.com/limesurvey/index.php/969829...name=Dave%20Phillips

Really need to know what I'm doing wrong here. I have two instruments in beta today because I thought this was straight-forward. One works, the other doesn't.

Dave Phillips
  • tpartner
More
7 years 3 months ago #145119 by tpartner
I think that by hiding the group with relevance == 0, you have basically rendered all questions in the group irrelevant.

I would run the survey in group-by-group and hide the panel questions with the "Always hide this question" advance setting or CSS instead of with relevance.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

The following user(s) said Thank You: teracomp
  • teracomp
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #145120 by teracomp
Thanks tpartner for your quick response.

I have to run in Question by Question mode, but Hiding the question appears to be the secret answer. In another forum thread (some weeks ago), I read about skipping the group by changing the relevance to 0. I thought this was a clever way of hiding a group of demographic data I was collecting on the form that launches the survey. So...apparently, that is a very BAD idea for production (while good for testing).

I set relevance to 1 on the group, then set Hide This Question to true on all of the group's items. When I load the URL with parameters, it works!

Now to recover the last 5 hours. :( Learning more each day. Thanks again.

Dave Phillips

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose