Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

New Install - This site can’t be reached

• Zaxx81
  • Zaxx81's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 months 4 weeks ago #253996 by Zaxx81
Your LimeSurvey version: 6.4.0
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: self-hosted
Survey theme/template: default
==================
Fresh install on self-hosted server. All the admin screens from the admin dashboard work except for List Surveys 'List Surveys' and Themes 'Edit Themes'. When I click on those, I receive a "This site can't be reached" HTTP ERROR 500.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 months 4 weeks ago #254007 by paulfiner
Replied by paulfiner on topic New Install - This site can’t be reached
Do you know what version of PHP you have installed? I had a similar problem to you but I had PHP 8.2 and Limesurvey doesn't officially support this version yet. Down-grading to PHP 8.1 solved my issue.

• Zaxx81
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #254074 by Zaxx81
Replied by Zaxx81 on topic New Install - This site can’t be reached
Running PHP 8.1.2 on Ubuntu 2.14.

There were not Apache errors, so I enabled debug mode in the LimeSurvey config.php and received an error page with 'Call to undefined function mb_ereg_replace()'.

According to ChatGPT,

The error "Call to undefined function mb_ereg_replace()" indicates that the PHP mbstring extension, which provides multibyte string processing capabilities, is not installed or enabled on your server. This extension is required for many applications, including LimeSurvey, to handle multibyte characters correctly.

It turns out the PHP mbstring extension was not installed. Once installed and I restarted Apache, I not longer received any errors going to 'List Surveys' or 'Themes'

The following user(s) said Thank You: rafaelp

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #254089 by holch
Replied by holch on topic New Install - This site can’t be reached
Wow, once the answers from ChatGPT regarding Limesurvey actually made sense. But then it was more a PHP related question rather than a LImesurvey question.

So far, anything Limesurvey was answered by ChatGPT quite nonsensical. It all sounded good on paper, but actually made no sense.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Zaxx81
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #254093 by Zaxx81
Replied by Zaxx81 on topic New Install - This site can’t be reached
Have you tried the newest version? ChatGPT 4 has been extremely helpful in the installation and troubleshooting of various applications.

• holch
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #254094 by holch
Replied by holch on topic New Install - This site can’t be reached
The problem with ChatGPT is, that it can only be as good as the data it is trained with. And from what I can see, it has never been trained with data regarding Limesurvey. Might be different in Version 4, but so far, all I have seen was stuff that looked good on the first glance, but once you dove into it, you noticed that it was pure inventions (regarding Limesurvey!). And that is the most dangerous part of ChatGPT in my point of view. ChatGPT often doesn't tell you if it doesn't know something, but rather gives you something that sounds it might make sense. I'd rather get a "Sorry, I have no clue.".

And yes, ChatGPT can be helpful. But I so often caught it at lying or let's call it "inventing", that I take everything it spits out with a grain of salt, especially when I have no clue about the topic. :-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

More
3 months 1 week ago #254543 by rafaelp
Replied by rafaelp on topic New Install - This site can’t be reached
I had this error too and your answer helped me, thank you.

• DenisChenu
More
3 months 1 week ago #254664 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic New Install - This site can’t be reached

Have you tried the newest version? ChatGPT 4 has been extremely helpful in the installation and troubleshooting of various applications.

LOL ! to have unrelated comment , yes !

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose