Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

White Screen of Death on any page, but the admin panel

• pgrund
  • pgrund's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 months 2 weeks ago - 4 months 2 weeks ago #253190 by pgrund
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: LimeSurvey Community Edition Version 6.3.8+231204
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: self-hosted
Survey theme/template:
==================
PHP Version: 7.4.3

I have just setup a LimeSurvey instance of my server, which seems to work perfectly fine during installation and while in the admin panel.
Once i try accessing anything else, however (e.g. index.php/surveyAdministration/listsurveys), I get a WSoD and my log shows me an Internal Server Error. However I cannot find anything in my Apache2 error log.
Below is my Apache config

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName survey.example.org

RewriteEngine On  
  RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on  
  RewriteRule ^ https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI} [L,R=301]
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
  ServerName survey.example.org

DocumentRoot /var/www/limesurvey

<Directory /vame/www/limesurvey>
    Require all granted
    AllowOverride All
    Options FollowSymLinks
  </Directory>

SSLEngine On
  SSLCertificateFile      /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key

ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

Now I realize, that this is probably an issue with the server config, but the fact, that only the admin panel works seems really odd to me and without meaningful log entries, I can't really figure out what's wrong. Maybe one of you has ever experienced something like this?
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by pgrund.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #253196 by tpartner

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

• pgrund
  • pgrund's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 months 2 weeks ago #253198 by pgrund
Apparently I forgot to install the mbstring module for PHP7.4, thanks a lot!
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

More
4 weeks 14 hours ago #259253 by grace99
It appears that you've set up a LimeSurvey instance on your Ubuntu 20.04 server running Apache, and while the admin panel works fine, accessing other parts of the application results in a White Screen of Death (WSoD) with an Internal Server Error. Despite checking the Apache error log, you couldn't find any meaningful information.Given your setup and symptoms, it's likely that the issue lies within your Apache configuration or potentially with how PHP is handling requests for LimeSurvey. Here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the issue:
  1. Check PHP Error Logs: Although you've checked the Apache error log, it's also essential to inspect PHP error logs. These logs might provide more specific details about the error encountered by PHP when accessing the other parts of LimeSurvey. You can typically find PHP error logs in
    Code:
    /var/log/php/
    or similar directories, depending on your PHP configuration.
  2. Enable Display Errors: Temporarily enable PHP error display to see if any errors are being generated when accessing the problematic parts of LimeSurvey. You can do this by setting
    Code:
    display_errors = On
    in your
    Code:
    php.ini
    file. Remember to turn this off once you've resolved the issue, as displaying errors in a production environment can pose security risks.
  3. Check LimeSurvey Logs: LimeSurvey might have its own logging mechanism. Look for any log files within the LimeSurvey directory or consult its documentation to enable logging if it's not already enabled. These logs could provide valuable insights into what's causing the Internal Server Error.
  4. Verify Rewrite Rules: Your Apache configuration includes rewrite rules to redirect HTTP traffic to HTTPS. Ensure that these rules are not causing conflicts with LimeSurvey's routing or URL structure. You might need to adjust these rules or LimeSurvey's configuration accordingly.
  5. Verify Directory Permissions: Double-check that the directory permissions for your LimeSurvey installation are correctly set. The Apache user (
    Code:
    www-data
    on Ubuntu) should have appropriate permissions to read files and execute scripts within the LimeSurvey directory.
  6. Update LimeSurvey Configuration: Review LimeSurvey's configuration files (
    Code:
    config.php
    or similar) to ensure that they are correctly configured for your server environment, including the base URL and any other relevant settings.
  7. Test with a Minimal Configuration: Temporarily disable any customizations or third-party plugins/extensions in LimeSurvey to isolate the issue. If LimeSurvey works without these customizations, gradually reintroduce them while monitoring for errors to identify the culprit.
By systematically investigating these areas, you should be able to pinpoint the cause of the Internal Server Error and address it accordingly. If you're still unable to resolve the issue, consider reaching out to LimeSurvey's support or community forums for further assistance, as they may have encountered similar issues before.

• tpartner
More
4 weeks 14 hours ago #259255 by tpartner
ChatGTP crap.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• DenisChenu
More
3 weeks 4 days ago #259398 by DenisChenu

Apparently I forgot to install the mbstring module for PHP7.4, thanks a lot!

You don't have the alert when installing ?
It's really strange ! And if confirm : must be fixed !

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose