Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Problems with the API integration to MS Powerbi through R-script

• in2minds
  • in2minds's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 months 2 days ago #246028 by in2minds
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: LimeSurvey Cloud
Version 5.6.31
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: LimeSurvey hosting
Survey theme/template:
==================
Hi fellow Limesurvey people :)
My overall goal is to automate the process so that answer results from a survey in Limesurvey (cloud version) can automatically be imported into Microsoft PowerBI.

I have Googled, checked YouTube, and been in contact with both LimeSurvey directly and LimeSurvey Partners. As I understand it, it can be done in two ways:
1) With an MS PowerBI plugin from an external partner
2) Or via LimeSurvey's API.

Ad 1. MS PowerBI plugin from a Limesurvey Partner
The challenge here is that in the first place I have to pay both the Limesurvey Partner for the MS PowerBI plugin and Limesurvey itself for the installation. But whenever Limesurvey makes a major update, I would have to buy a new plugin update and installation. This could be rather pricy if there are many major updates

Therefore I have tried to use to API solution.

Ad 2. Limesurveys API
I read that the best/easiest way to connect the Limesurvey API to MS Powerbi was through an R-script.

I have done the following:
1.  In my Global settings I have turned "JSonRPC" interface on
2.  installed "limer" packages to R
3. I have tried many scripts - including this more simple one:

# Load library
library(limer)

# Setup API details
options(lime_api = ' MYWEBSITE.limequery.com/admin/remotecontrol ')

options(lime_username = 'XX')
options(lime_password = 'CC')

# Do stuff with LimeSurvey API
get_session_key()  # Log in
responses <- get_responses(513373)  # Get results from survey

responses_codes <- get_responses(iSurveyID = 513373, sReponseType = "code")

This works partly. It logs on - it can retrieve a API session key - but there are no data in my Survey (id=513373) (I get two columnheaders - but no data, and the survey is both active and have results in it)

Can anyone help me?

A) Is there a better way to connect the Limesurvey Cloud version API to MS Powerbi?
b) Or has any one got the API to work in MS Powerbi? (Through R or Python or...)

Thank you so much ! Really hope that are someone in here who can point me in the right direction

Br
Jesper

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 months 2 days ago #246031 by holch

This could be rather pricy if there are many major updates

Plugins should not break with updates within the same branch, e.g. LS3, LS5 or LS6.

Major new releases usually come out every couple of years.

I am not affilated with Limesurvey GmbH who is providing the SaaS hosting of Limesurvey, so I don't know if you have to ask them to install the plugin new for each major version upgrade (e.g. from LS5 to LS6).

I am no expert on the API, but "I read that the best/easiest way to connect the Limesurvey API to MS Powerbi was through an R-script." sounds odd. Who said that?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• in2minds
More
8 months 2 days ago #246063 by in2minds
Hi Holch
Thank you so much for your reply and thoughts.

So you will recommend that I go with the plugin to Microsoft Powerbi and buy this from one of Limesurveys partners ( www.buildingsurveys.net/producto/limesur...owerbi-connector-en/ )?  

I am currently on this version:  LimeSurvey Cloud   Version 5.6.31
So maybe there will be no issues or risks of major updates every 6-12 months or so?

Regarding that a R script should be the easiest way to use the API in Powerbi - I concluded it after reading this -  manual.limesurvey.org/RemoteControl_2_API
BUT again, I'm by far an expert within APIs :) So I can easily have misunderstood it

Br
Jesper

• holch
More
8 months 1 day ago #246087 by holch

So you will recommend that I go with the plugin to Microsoft Powerbi and buy this from one of Limesurveys partners ?

No, I am not recommending anything. Especially as I haven't used this plugin myself, so I have no experience. However, would I be in your situation and in need of a connection between Limesurvey and PowerBi, I most probably would consider purchasing such a plugin. I think I know who the author is and he should be very experienced with Limesurvey.

300 Euros sounds like a lot of money, but considering the time you spend on getting this up and running for your installation it might actually not be that much at the end.

To be able to estimate potential future costs, I would ask the author of the plugin, if the plugin is future proof and if it can be used also in LS6 for example or upcoming LS installation, and what happens if it is not compatible with a future installation, e.g. if you have to pay for an update, or of they will provide you with a free update, etc.

And then of course I would check the costs for the installation on your Limesurvey SaaS account with Limesurvey GmbH and also check what happens when there will be a version upgrade, e.g. from LS5 to LS6 and if there are any additional costs.

But I assume that getting the responses from the API is probably also a valid approach. I am just not able to provide you with any tips and tricks there, because I have NO idea how this would work. You will have to see if someone else can help.

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter what language you are using (PHP, Python, Java, ...) to write the script.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• in2minds
More
8 months 1 day ago #246089 by in2minds
Thanks again for your thoughts.

In case of a major update there will be new costs again:
1) The plugin provider takes half price for the next updated plugin (150$)
2) And Limesurvey take 120 Euro everytime they would have to re-install the plugin again.

So every major update will cost a little less than 300$ every time to reinstall it again.

I'm not aware of how often "the major updates" takes place?

I think you are quite right that this is the easiest way - as long that there are not updates every 6 months or so.

The API solution seems more robust/safe/cheaper - but at the same time also very far away with my skills :)

Br
Jesper

• holch
More
8 months 1 day ago #246090 by holch

I think you are quite right that this is the easiest way - as long that there are not updates every 6 months or so.

You can have a look when new major versions come out. I don't think it is every 6 months, but rather every 2 years.

For example: LS 6.0.0 was first released on 04.04.2023 (and you can see that your installation is still on LS5, so Limesurvey GmbH does not upgrade right away anyway).

LS 5.0.0 was released on 25.05.2021 (however, LS 5 is basically just a renamed LS 4 afaik)

LS 4.0.0 was released on 15.01.2020

LS 3.0.0 was released on 28.12.2017

So a major new version comes out roughly every 2 years.

You might also be able to stretch out your old version with Limesurvey GmbH, as long as it is still supported officially. They usually don't update right away, as far as I know.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #246213 by jelo

2) And Limesurvey take 120 Euro everytime they would have to re-install the plugin again.

Interesting, that is prohibitive price for third party developers to aim for customers in the SaaS segment of the LimeSurvey userbase.
I wonder if that price is for every kind of plugin or only for certain ones.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose