Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Lime Survey SMTP not sending where are the logs

• phillip.mathews
  • phillip.mathews's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #243060 by phillip.mathews
Lime Survey SMTP not sending where are the logs was created by phillip.mathews
Your LimeSurvey version: LimeSurvey Community Edition Version 6.0.4+230427
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Self Hosted from IIS, POSTGreSQL, PHP 8.2, freshly installed Limesurvey.
==================
Good morning. I have exhausted all efforts on how to be able to send a darn SMTP email. I have an exchange server 2019 that is set to anonymous for internal, the relay is allowed by IP from my limesurvey server. There are no entries for SMTP from the limesurvey IP at all on the exchange server, like it is not even reaching out to the exchange server. I have debug always turned on in the Limesurvey application, but I do not know where to find the logs for this application. Under my limesurvey directory  application/logs there is just an index.html that is 1KB that says "Directory Access is forbidden". Nothing else is in that directory. I am admin and have full control over the directories.  Please where are the debug logs?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #243070 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Lime Survey SMTP not sending where are the logs
Best is to activate smtp debug mode : manual.limesurvey.org/Global_settings/en#Email_settings

You activate SMTP on exchange server ?
You need to set empty user when save : exchange don't like to receive password when wait an empty password.

See github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/58.../LimeMailer.php#L178

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

• phillip.mathews
  • phillip.mathews's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 months 3 weeks ago #243115 by phillip.mathews
Replied by phillip.mathews on topic Lime Survey SMTP not sending where are the logs
Thank you for your reply.

I did set debug mode to always, and password and username is set to empty, password field automatically fills with ********* etc. SMTP on server is active and in use by other services with no issues.

I was using the Configuration > Global > Email settings > Send Test Email button to try to send an email. All of the relevant information is filled out to my environments requirements. The test email button does not work.

Throwing crap at the wall I decided to set up a new user with my email address without setting a password( I believe you call it a Token email?) and it sent me the email immediately. So my settings are correct.

You sent me a link to LimeMailer.php, to SMTP settings. I'm not a software engineer, but I can read the code and see what it says it is supposed to do, but do not fully grasp it. I do not see a location in there for any logs.

Where are the logs located?
Are there any logs?

Regards,

Phil

• DenisChenu
More
11 months 2 weeks ago #243369 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Lime Survey SMTP not sending where are the logs
I have to report an issue
Allowing to have the complete log for smtp

Put the number 4 here
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/58.../LimeMailer.php#L163

$this->SMTPDebug = 4

I think there are a firewall between your server and your SMTP here

«is not even reaching out to the exchange server»

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose