Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Is LimeSurvey stateless for horizontal scaling?

• David1231
  • David1231's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 5 months ago #233894 by David1231
Hello,
From running Apache Bench, I learned that my server can serve 135 survey participants concurrently. Running MySQL on the same machine seems a bad idea. I would like to make a three-server configuration, where there is one dedicated MySQL server and two dedicated machines that handle incoming traffic (and connect to MySQL via a private wire). There will be a load balancer to intelligently route traffic to an available machine.
Does LimeSurvey support statelessness, meaning that it doesn't mind on which node a request comes in? I assume that file-based sessions limits statelessness, as one should end up on the same server between page requests for clicking through to another page of the survey. What if we change to database-based sessions instead?
In other words, what is required to scale LimeSurvey horizontally by hosting it on multiple machines, and to make it stateless?
Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #233903 by jelo

In other words, what is required to scale LimeSurvey horizontally by hosting it on multiple machines, and to make it stateless?

KnowHow is needed. And time to find and optimize the bottlenecks.

Apache bench cannot simulate concurrent survey participants. You usually only let them hit the first page of a survey. Filling out a survey and multiple pages is often not part of the benchmark. The run on the first page can be the biggest stress for a server when using LimeSurvey.
How many survey participants should LimeSurvey handle? In a second? In a minute? In an hour or a day?
And what specs has your current server?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose