Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Delays in entering admin area after completing admin details

• SimonCropper
  • SimonCropper's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #178306 by SimonCropper
Hello,

I have installed LimeSurvey CE Version 3.15.5+181115 on a RHEL 7 VM.

I have encountered an issue where after entering the administrator name and password to gain access to the admin area, LimeSurvey just sits there for 2 minutes. It then opens the admin area and everything seems fine. I have some other instances of LimeSurvey operating in other environments and none of these do the same thing - they all open the admin area in 1-2 seconds.

All the prerequisites have been installed.

There are no errors shown on screen and none of the subsequent activities have an unexplained delay.

The linux administrator and I have scoured the linux logs, VM logs and the host server logs for errors logged at the time I try and enter the system and for 2-3 minutes after but can't find any errors recorded.

Can someone either suggest an explanation or provide guideance on how to troubleshoot this problem?

As mentioned, once in to the admin area everything seems fine... this seems to suggest it is a authentication issue but I am not sure.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Simon
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 3 months ago #178329 by holch
Does this installation have access to the internet?

Because I remember that a while back there were some delays in opening when the LS installation was used "offline" or within a local network, because it tried to connect to the comfort update servers, which was obviously not possible.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: SimonCropper
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 3 months ago #178355 by DenisChenu
In can be just after updating : time to make all needed asset. But only one time (and for the 1rst user).

Else : didn't know

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
5 years 3 months ago #178373 by jelo

SimonCropper wrote: I have encountered an issue where after entering the administrator name and password to gain access to the admin area, LimeSurvey just sits there for 2 minutes.

This sound more like a connection issue with the updateserver of LimeSurvey.
When logging in the LimeSurvey installation tries to connect to a external webserver of LimeSurvey.
Depending on the network settings that might get's blocked and you get a time lag till a timeout is triggered.

Try to deacticate the comfortupdate via the config " 'updatable' => false " or check if connection to comfortupdate.limesurvey.org is somewhere blocked from your VM.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: SimonCropper
  • SimonCropper
More
5 years 3 months ago #178602 by SimonCropper
Hi Jelo and Holch,

Sorry for the tardy reply. I have been investigating how the VM was created.

You were correct. The VM is behind a firewall that stops all access to the internet. Essentially, people within the network can access the platform but in its current configuration it can not be used to survey people outside the network, which is a requirement.

I have created a separate post to investigate whether the database and frontend can be managed on separate servers.

www.limesurvey.org/forum/installation-a-...er-behind-a-firewall

Thanks Simon.

Cheers Simon
  • holch
More
5 years 3 months ago #178629 by holch
In this case, the best way is to switch off the comfort update the way Jelo explained. then LS won't try to connect to the update server, which probably causes the delay.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• SimonCropper
More
5 years 2 months ago #179223 by SimonCropper

jelo wrote:

SimonCropper wrote: Try to deacticate the comfortupdate via the config " 'updatable' => false " ...

for others, as this ended up being a pain...

config...
Code:
/var/www/html/limesurvey/application/config/config.php

insert command here...
Code:
             // For security issue : it's better to set runtimePath out of web access
             // Directory must be readable and writable by the webuser
             // 'runtimePath'=>'/var/limesurvey/runtime/'
             // Use the following config variable to set modified optional settings copied from config-defaults.php
             'config'=>array(
             // debug: Set this to 1 if you are looking for errors. If you still get no errors after enabling this
             // then please check your error-logs - either in your hosting provider admin panel or in some /logs directory
             // on your webspace.
             // LimeSurvey developers: Set this to 2 to additionally display STRICT PHP error messages and get full access to standard templates
                     'debug'=>0,
                     'debugsql'=>0, // Set this to 1 to enanble sql logging, only active when debug = 2
                     // Update default LimeSurvey config here
                     'updatable' => false
             )
     );
     /* End of file config.php */
     /* Location: ./application/config/config.php */

Cheers Simon

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose