Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Install for MS Windows

• parkwayma
  • parkwayma's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #156330 by parkwayma
Install for MS Windows was created by parkwayma
I need to install LimeSurvey for my MS Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard using MS SQL 2014 and IIS, I will take it as my webserver. But I don`t know how to install and make it run normally. I try to searched with Google, there is a simple thread that helped me a lot.
Prepare the things we need.

1.Preparation:
(1). Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
(2). Microsoft SQL Server Installer (I used MS SQL 2014 for this how-to)
(3). LimeSurvey Installation files in their official website.
2.Download the Limesurvey installation files.
Download the latest version of Limesurvey on this website.
in their official website.

3.Extract Installation files of Limesurvey.
Go ahead and extract the LimeSurvey installation files to your preferred location on your server.

4.Install MS SQL.
You can use the Express version if you can live with its limitation.

Install and configure the MS SQL. Take note of the Server Name and the MS SQL Credentials and the port.

If you have existing MS SQL Server, you may use it as well.

5.Add Webserver features on Windows Server 2012
Using Server Manager add the App & Webserver Roles to host our LimeSurvey Installation.

6.Check IIS Configuration

(1). Make sure you have installed PHP on the server, you can do so using the IIS Web Platform Installer. Limesurvey recommends PHP 5.5.x

(2). Check if all the following PHP extensions are enabled on the PHP Manager in IIS. (see attached)

7. Limesurvey on IIS
Add the Limesurvey as a new website on the IIS, make sure all bindings are correct.

Check the permission of the following directory in your LimeSurvey folder, make sure the IIS user have R&W permission to these directories.

(1). "/limesurvey/tmp"
(2). "/limesurvey/upload/"
(3). "/limesurvey/application/config/"

Note: If you are installing Limesurvey on a existing webserver, check your port assignment, you may need to assign new port to access Limesurvey.

8. Run the LimeSurvey script

Once all is set, you may now run the LimeSurvey script to start the configuration process of LimeSurvey.

Check if you can now access the installation website yourservername.yourdomain.com/limesurveyfolder

Limesurvey actual configuration is a breeze, the 6 steps process won't take long.

9. Create and Test LimeSurvey

All set. You may now start to create and send test surveys to your team using on prem LimeSurvey.
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by .
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 8 months ago #156386 by surveyerist
Replied by surveyerist on topic Install for MS Windows
Thanks for sharing this.
You say:
(2). Check if all the following PHP extensions are enabled on the PHP Manager in IIS. (see attached)
I can't see anything attached, was there a screen capture or something?
I am trying to install on IIS, as well but I am having some issues with the connection to the database.
There comes an error message that says:
SQLSTATE[IMSSP]: This extension requires the Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server to communicate with SQL Server. Access the following URL to download the ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server for x86: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163712

I already installed it but I still get the error. Any ideas? Thanks a lot
More
6 years 8 months ago #156388 by surveyerist
Replied by surveyerist on topic Install for MS Windows
I just resolved my problem: having just the php extensions for SQL is not enough.
The error message I was getting was asking for 'ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server for x86'. I was getting an error on my WinSrv 2k12 when trying to install the x86 version that the platform is not supported. I tried installing the x64 version and the config process completed successfully.
Maybe this info helps someone in the future.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose