Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Missing data for mandatory questions

• DanielVN
  • DanielVN's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #155262 by DanielVN
Missing data for mandatory questions was created by DanielVN
Hello,

I have scripted a survey containing more than 350 questions. The survey contains 11 question groups. The last question group contains 6 questions (all of them mandatory). The survey was launched 2 days ago and I have more than 80 completes. For some of the completes there is no data stored in the database only for the questions in the last question group. The issue appears to happen on completely random occasion as the first respondent don't have data, the next three respondents have and the next two don't have, resulting in 27 with no data for these respondents. Weird enough the last 30+ respondents collected so far don't have such issue.

I have scripted the survey using Version 2.06+ Build 151215.

Could you please advise if this is known issue or this is some kind of bug?

P.S. I have tried to amend the data and to add the answers to these questions manually by using Responses and statistics, however when I press Save button the manually added answers disappear and are not saved.

Thank you
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #155281 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Missing data for mandatory questions
It's very unlikely that your survey doesn't record some data, and most unlikely in the LTS branch. LimeSurvey is used by hundred of thousands of people around the world, by many professional companies, and if such a bug would be released it would be caught extremely quickly.

Each time someone claimed "LS doesn't record some responses", it finally results that the problem comes from the survey logic itself, which in those cases are often extremely complex logic. LimeSurvey Professional Hosting clients has right to maintenance and support, so I've myself helped some users claiming that: it always take a very long time to check the survey logic, what is mandatory what is not, in which condition this is shown or not, etc, and it always resulted that the problem was coming from the survey logic, and not from the software.

It seems you have a very complex survey logic, so you can be 99% sure it comes from here.

BTW: you're using an outdated version of 2.06 branch, you should update.
  • DanielVN
  • DanielVN's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #155284 by DanielVN
Replied by DanielVN on topic Missing data for mandatory questions
Hi,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'm sorry but I forgot to mention that these questions are always shown to all respondents and there is no survey logic related to them.

This is actually the reason why I have raised the issue here, also I have tried to amend the data and to add the answers to these questions manually by using Responses and statistics, however when I press Save button the manually added answers disappear and are not saved.

Thanks
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #155287 by LouisGac
will you believe me if I tell you that, at first, people always claim that they check everything and that they are sure they have no logic problem? :P

and then I check the logic in detail (which take a long time) and find what's going on...

so:
1. first update to the last release of LTS branch
2. find exactly what should be done to reproduce your problem
3. Open a report in the bug tracker, attach a lss file or a lsa file, and describe in detail what should be done to reproduce.

But again: it's extremely unlikely that the problem comes from the software.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by LouisGac.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 9 months ago #155288 by LouisGac
just for information: we didn't change the way the responses are recorded since years, nor in LTS branch, nor in the master branch, and even in the develop branch. For the master branch, a few months ago, I still personally checked that everything was recorded fine for each question types, with all the different options/settings. So really, it's extremely unlikely that the problem comes from the software.
More
6 years 5 months ago #158860 by blocka
Replied by blocka on topic Missing data for mandatory questions
I'm just sharing this in case there is some correlation...

We have a similar situation here: a mandatory question that doesn't get saved, and we have no conditions on that mandatory question (it is always shown to the participant). It is the last question displayed in the survey - there is one more question, but it is hidden equation type.

From what we see the only time this last mandatory question isn't populated is when the user gets an error that their submission couldn't be recorded at this time.

I'm wondering if it is somehow related to my observations posted in :
www.limesurvey.org/forum/design-issues/1...ment-selected#158832

And noted in : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9643 ?
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 5 months ago #158866 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Missing data for mandatory questions

blocka wrote: …
From what we see the only time this last mandatory question isn't populated is when the user gets an error that their submission couldn't be recorded at this time.

And noted in : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9643 ?

I think i put on the forum : please : open a new bug ;).

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose