Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Creating a survey completion code for MTurk

• nikinew
  • nikinew's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 11 months ago #151288 by nikinew
Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I am planning to put a survey on MTurk. I know would like to add a functionality that generates a completion code for the survey that is displayed in the end message of my survey. Is there any solution or code to this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Greetings

Nik
The topic has been locked.
More
6 years 11 months ago #151292 by jelo

nikinew wrote: to add a functionality that generates a completion code for the survey that is displayed in the end message of my survey.

Could you explain what a completion code is? Amazon MTurk is not a topic that often here.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • nikinew
More
6 years 11 months ago #151302 by nikinew
Replied by nikinew on topic Creating a survey completion code for MTurk
Hi,

A completion code is basically a unique id (it is just a random number that is generated). The idea behind this is that any user that completes the survey gets displayed a unique random number (ideally a 6 digit number at the very end of the survey) and then enters this number into a form that is provided on MTurk. This is done to prevent double entries while allowing the users to stay anonymous.
More
6 years 11 months ago #151303 by jelo

nikinew wrote: id a unique random number (ideally a 6 digit number at the very end of the survey) and then enters this number into a form that is provided on MTurk.

A code with 6digits (no characters) and unique sounds a bit tough to me.
There are some aproaches linked and discussed here:
www.limesurvey.org/community/forums/can-...-of-survey-for-mturk

I'm only used to automatic generated codes which are used in URLs (e.g. panels, where a code is passed through the URL via get parameters. Nothing is displayed and no mistypes can happen.

It seems to be possible to pass a workerid as well from MTurk to LimeSurvey.
github.com/ianhussey/MTurk2Limesurvey

I'm not used to the MTurk settings.
Passing variables can be done a bit more easily than explained in the MTurk2LimeSurvey.

• nikinew
More
6 years 11 months ago #151322 by nikinew
Hi Jelo,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I still have not figured it out completely. I manged to set up a question with a number getting displayed automatically. I now intend to hide this question and put in some function in the end message of my survey that takes this number and displays it at the very end of the survey. Is this possible? Is there a solution to this? I browsed the LimeSurvey community and figured that this could be probably resolved with "INSERTANS", but I am not entirely sure.

Greetings

Nik
More
6 years 11 months ago #151323 by jelo
Take your time and follow the links. Did you managed to get the workerid from MTurk into LimeSurvey. A random number is not a unique number. A GUID generator is something completely different than a random number. The crowd on MTurk must be pissed of when getting the same number assigned.

If you don't know how to hide a question in LimeSurvey you might need to take your time and check the advanced settings of a question.

INSERTANS is old stuff.
You can just add {questioncode} to the source html of the endmessage via the editor.
Questioncode has to be replaced with the actual questioncode of your question containing the number you want to display.

• nikinew
More
6 years 11 months ago #151337 by nikinew
Hi Jelo,

thank you for your advice.
I have not managed to get the Workerid from MTurk to Lime Survey yet. But I am on it.
However, I have managed to create a question (question type: numerical input) in which some random number is generated. With your help I also manged to display this number via {questioncode} in the end message of my survey. The problem that I now face is that if I hide the question (I want to hide it so that the number is not getting displayed twice in the survey) then the number cannot be displayed in the end message. Thus, I can display the number either twice or not at all. Do you have a workaround for this?

Btw: Of course you are right a random number is not the same as a unique id. And I am aware of the shortcomings of not having a unique identifier. Anyway I will try to find a solution to this.

Greetings

Nik
More
6 years 11 months ago #151339 by jelo

nikinew wrote: Thus, I can display the number either twice or not at all. Do you have a workaround for this?

That depends on how you generate the number. E.g. if you use JavaScript in that question, you may need to hide the question via JavaScript. Hiding the question via LimeSurvey settings is preventing the javascript to get executed.
I filed a feature request to allow different kind of hiding to prevent these issues:
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=11665

You can hide the question via JavaScript.
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">  
  $(document).ready(function() {
    $('#question{QID}').hide();  
  });  
</script>

Attach a exported survey file to this thread if that isn't working.

• DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 11 months ago #151820 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Creating a survey completion code for MTurk
Best solution : usage of CSS class : hidden in CSS class advanced setting do it

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose