Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Cant start Apache/MySQL with XAMPP [I already freed ports 80 and 443!]

• Immaniz
  • Immaniz's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 days ago - 7 years 3 days ago #150128 by Immaniz
Hi and in advance sorry for my bad english (germanspeaker here...).
I cannot manage to get the XAMPP_LimeSurvey to work. I downloaded the latest, stable Version (2.64.1+170310-on-xampp-win32) and installed it. After some moments i get the Message, that Limesurvey was installed with XAMPP and that i should click on "next". If i do so, the adress "http://localhost/admin/admin.php" opens in my browser but cant get loaded....

If i start the XAMPP-Control-Panel and try to start Apache i get:
13:56:39 [Apache] Attempting to start Apache app...
13:56:39 [Apache] Status change detected: running
13:56:39 [Apache] Status change detected: stopped
13:56:39 [Apache] Error: Apache shutdown unexpectedly.
13:56:39 [Apache] This may be due to a blocked port, missing dependencies,
13:56:39 [Apache] improper privileges, a crash, or a shutdown by another method.
13:56:39 [Apache] Press the Logs button to view error logs and check
13:56:39 [Apache] the Windows Event Viewer for more clues
13:56:39 [Apache] If you need more help, copy and post this
13:56:39 [Apache] entire log window on the forums

If i try to start MySQL i just get:
13:56:41 [mysql] Attempting to start MySQL app...
And nothing more (even if i repeat it).

So thats the generell Problem, now some clues that u know what i already have done:
The first time i installed and startet XAMPP i got the ErrorMessage that the Ports 80 and 443 are blocked by skype. One can find many topics to this error in the net, so it was easy to fix. Now the ports are free (checked netstat in XAMPP and also checked it manually via the cmd-console) but it still doesnt work...
I tryed reinstalling XAMPP several times...
I open XAMPP with adminrights...
If i click (like suggested) on the "Logs"-button, i get the note, that for example the Apache (error.log) file doesnt exists and if i want to create a new file called like this...
I was able to launch the Windows Event Viewer but i have no damn clue how to work with it...

If i try to research my problem i only find those "free your ports 80 and 443"-topics or stuff i dont understand :D
I need to get LimeSurvey work on my Pc for an internship i have to complete this semester so i would be very gratefull if i could get any help here!

thank you
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by Immaniz.
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 3 days ago #150131 by jelo
Even though the XAMPP package is provided by LimeSurvey, a XAMPP forum will be more helpful.
community.apachefriends.org/f/viewforum.php?f=4

The issue is not around LimeSurvey itself, but the XAMPP installation process, which somehow failed to provide a proper setup.
Be aware that the XAMPP forum can be a bit rough handling newbies.
community.apachefriends.org/f/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=75153

Which Windows is used? When starting Apache the Windows Event Viewer (Auf Deutsch Ereignisanzeige) is the first stop to look for clues. Depending on your Windows version the event logs are bit different. You just have to check the events at the time you try to start apache and look in the System and Application section (in Deutsch Anwendungen und System) for error messages.

How did you solve the Skype / XAMPP port conflict?

I cannot recommend using XAMPP on a PC with other applications. Too many things can get tricky since a Desktop workspace is never a good place for a server and viceversa.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Immaniz
  • Immaniz's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 days ago - 7 years 3 days ago #150134 by Immaniz
Ok so i will try my luck with the event viewer tonight... Wouldnt dare to post in the XAMPP-Forums without the logs :D
Till then:
I solved the conflict via Skype -> Options -> Connection -> then put out the "X" in "Use Ports 80 and 443 for additional connections", then restarted skype/pc of course... like they recommended in the topics.

I understand that its complicated to run XAMPP on a normal pc with all the chaotic stuff ^^ (I use a android-emulator on this pc for example, which is surley playing with ports/connections as well, dunno...).
But for my internship i will have to collect and evaluate data based on a survey the company did some years ago (compare the todays outcomes with their old ones). I think the survey will be on the companys server and stuff, but i wanted to get used to the programm before i get acces to their servers (or how ever limesurvey works without the XAMPP stuff). Maybe play around with some test-surveys u know? Never had any experience with online-survey-tools before, although i know how to use "r" and "spss" for evaluation :D

btw.: thanks for your quick reply :D

And: oh sorry, windowsversion is 7 64bit
Last edit: 7 years 3 days ago by Immaniz.
More
7 years 3 days ago #150139 by jelo
Till you got XAMPP running, you can use the demo.limesurvey.org for getting used to the GUI.
Since surveys are public and deleted from time to time you can use a free hosted Version of LimeSurvey with 25 responses free per month.
www.limesurvey.org/editions-and-prices/l...-prices-professional

My recommendation for your XAMPP. Shutdown Skype. Deinstall the complete XAMPP package.
Reboot (If you're using Windows 10 learn to reboot, since it is not a complete reboot).
Shutdown Skype completely. Which means using the tray-icon and really shut Skype down.
Install XAMPP package again. Reboot.
Shutdown Skype again.
Now test XAMPP. If still issues, check for entries in the event logs of windows which indicate errors.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: Immaniz

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose