Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Serious bug on 2.62.2 +170203 -- quick fix, or roll back to previous version?

• oleggorfinkel
  • oleggorfinkel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #148805 by oleggorfinkel
Hi,

Yesterday, I used LimeSurvey to administer a lot of questionnaires out in the field and discovered a fairly serious bug -- for many users on mobile devices, survey and section titles appear cut off by the title bar, so the user can't even tell which section they are working on. I have just submitted a bug report for this: bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12137

The problem for me now is that I'll have to run the survey again tomorrow, with even more users, and I have to do something quickly to avoid this happening again. Fortunately, I had saved my entire previous installation of XAMPP before updating, so that would be fairly easy to roll back, but with a remote server mirror I have running on a hosting provider's server, it won't be so easy, will it (since I can't easily replace the database). I know that when I updated from the previous version (2.5+ build 160812), the database was upgraded, so I don't imagine I can just swap in the contents of the htdocs directory, can I?

Or, perhaps, it's a simple fix, and a new version could be put out quickly... What would you recommend that I do?

Oleg G.
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 1 month ago #148806 by jelo
I would mention the template used.
Are you 100% sure that you didn't had these optical glitches in an earlier version/build of LimeSurvey as well?
To me this looks like the typical bootstrap hell.
See this bug report from Oct 2016
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=11820

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #148807 by oleggorfinkel

jelo wrote: I would mention the template used.
Are you 100% sure that you didn't had these optical glitches in an earlier version/build of LimeSurvey as well?
To me this looks like the typical bootstrap hell.
See this bug report from Oct 2016
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=11820

Hi, Jelo, thanks for replying.

I am absolutely sure the previous version didn't have this issue.

I am using the same template as before -- a slightly tweaked version of the Default template (basically exactly the same, but with my own graphic). You can have a look at it here: apuv.tentokai.com .

The other bug report you mentioned refers to text disappearing behind the progress bar. In my case, it is being cut off underneath the TITLE bar (on my surveys, the progress bar is disabled). So, I am not sure this other bug is at all similar to mine...

Any suggestions on how to roll back to the previous version safely? I am worried I don't have time for any other solution, as tomorrow I'll have to administer these surveys to a hundred people... Thanks!

Oleg G.
More
7 years 1 month ago #148808 by jelo

oleggorfinkel wrote:

jelo wrote: I am absolutely sure the previous version didn't have this issue.

Are you sure it was tested back then with the same chrome mobile browser (same version/build)?

I cannot reproduce the issue with the first page of the survey. But I haven only used some simulators.

I cannot recommend to rollback the whole installation without knowing the exact issue causing this overlapping.

I would first try to use a "unmodified" template which was shipped with the LS update to rule out template issues introduced by using an modified template, which isn't getting bug-fixes when LS is updated.

I then would try to get some mobile browser and try to modify the question-text and the template to see if I can improve the situation. If the issue is related to chrome a complete rollback of the Limesurvey installation would be waste of time.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: oleggorfinkel
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #148817 by oleggorfinkel

jelo wrote:

oleggorfinkel wrote:

jelo wrote: I am absolutely sure the previous version didn't have this issue.

I would first try to use a "unmodified" template which was shipped with the LS update to rule out template issues introduced by using an modified template, which isn't getting bug-fixes when LS is updated.

It WAS a problem with the template -- thanks! And now I understand how this came about: when updating LimeSurvey to the latest version, I did as the manual suggests -- replaced all the files EXCEPT application/config/config.php and the "upload" directory. My customized template, of course, was sitting in the upload directory. So, by the looks of it, custom templates can't just be carried forward to each new version without a refresh. I guess, from now on, every time I upgrade, I'll have to take the new "default" template and customize it with my changes, correct? This is what I did just now, and it worked!

I have one question left, then: is there anything else under the upload directory, apart from any custom templates, that needs to be refreshed with every new upgrade?

Oleg G.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by oleggorfinkel.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #148820 by oleggorfinkel
I have just added the following text to the "Upgrading from a previous version" section of the manual, to make sure other people won't make the same mistake as I did when updating to a new version:

(NOTE: If you have any customized templates sitting under /upload/templates, make sure you refresh those with any changes from the new version. The easiest way to check for such changes is to file-compare your old template with the new version of the default template, and if you see any differences other than your customizations, a refresh is needed.)

Oleg G.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 1 month ago #148821 by holch
The step to refresh your template is only necessary if there has been a change in the templating system, otherwise your other template should work fine.

There was quite a big "break" in templates from the 2.05 (now 2.5) to the 2.5x version of Limesurvey. So if you upgraded from the 2.05 branch to the 2.5x branch, then yes, this is definitely true. if it was from a version of 2.5x to 2.5x, there should be no need to update your templates I think.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 1 month ago #148824 by oleggorfinkel

holch wrote: There was quite a big "break" in templates from the 2.05 (now 2.5) to the 2.5x version of Limesurvey. So if you upgraded from the 2.05 branch to the 2.5x branch, then yes, this is definitely true. if it was from a version of 2.5x to 2.5x, there should be no need to update your templates I think.

I am quite sure that I had originally created the customized template under the 2.50+ version. In any case, this template had worked just fine on 2.50+ 160812, but not under 2.62.2+ 170203, so there must have been important changes in between. I plan to always refresh the template now on any upgrade. There are only 3 files I need to change, anyway, so it's not that big a deal.

Cheers...

Oleg G.
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #148916 by DenisChenu
Hi @oleggorfinkel,

When you find the issue can you report the bug ?

We must not broke template (except for very little glitch) if we don't update API version (the 1st number).

Thanks

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #148949 by lowprofile
maybe unrelated but i just reported a news_paper template bug that also affects copied templates
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12147
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #148951 by oleggorfinkel

DenisChenu wrote: Hi @oleggorfinkel,
When you find the issue can you report the bug ?
We must not broke template (except for very little glitch) if we don't update API version (the 1st number).
Thanks

Hi Denis,

The way I solved this issue was, basically, through a workaround -- starting with the fresh new template and reintroducing my (very few) changes into it. This means that I probably will never know what the real issue was that made my old template incompatible with the new version of LimeSurvey.

But, what I CAN do is give you the original 2.50+ "default" template, as well as my modified version of it (named "AtencionPlenaUV"), so that you can do a diff on the files and see what has really changed in the new version. Also, if you set my template as default, under 2.62.2+170203, you'll probably be able to actually reproduce the problem. So, I have attached the two versions of the original template here for your reference.

By the way, the only two modifications I had made to the default template were:

- changed the logo on the start page
- commented out SITENAME in the surveylist.pstpl file

Cheers,
Oleg.

Oleg G.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
7 years 3 weeks ago #148952 by oleggorfinkel

lowprofile wrote: maybe unrelated but i just reported a news_paper template bug that also affects copied templates
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12147

Hi @lowprofile,

It looks like that one is, indeed, an unrelated bug.

Cheers...

Oleg G.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose