Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

external vs internal URL... "conflict"

• ConradNg
  • ConradNg's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 4 months ago #143875 by ConradNg
external vs internal URL... "conflict" was created by ConradNg
Hi,

We installed LimeSurvey V2.50+ and currently have an external url and an internal url. I was told by our network tech...NAT loopback was not possible with our hardware setup. At the moment, we access the LimeSurvey using an internal address and cannot access the external URL from inside the office. This presents quite a problem when using invitations/reminder emails as the links generated from within the office uses...the internal address.

In the attempt to resolve this problem (using instructions from - manual.limesurvey.org/Survey_participant...Freminder_email_link ) , I applied the tweak...where I edited the application/config/config.php to include:
'request' => array(
'hostInfo' => ' www.example.com ',
),

The email URL generated are now correct but I now discovered a new problem. Upon a successful login from within the office, the admin login page is directed to the external URL...leading to a 'no connection page'. So now my question becomes...how can I tweak the admin login URL to the internal address for when accessing from within the office only...while retaining the external URL's admin login to direct the next page to the external admin's URL.

I would most definitely appreciate any work-arounds or ideas...

Thanks,
Conrad
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 4 months ago #143896 by holch
Replied by holch on topic external vs internal URL... "conflict"
This is a tricky one. I think the same network tech should be able to help you there, if this is at all possible.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• ConradNg
More
7 years 4 months ago #143907 by ConradNg
Replied by ConradNg on topic external vs internal URL... "conflict"
and if the tech isn't able to help me out with this problem?...
  • holch
More
7 years 4 months ago #143908 by holch
Replied by holch on topic external vs internal URL... "conflict"
Then you have a problem...

;-)

Well, I feel that this is much more an issue of a server and network setup than of the web application like Limesurvey.

The normal setup is to have Limesurvey installed on a server that is accessible via the internet, so you access it via the domain.

For sending emails, Limesurvey usually uses as a base the URL you are logged in with. There are options to change that (as you did), but I have no experience with that.

Maybe some of the developers see this and can help out. So there is no way for you to use the Domain that is used for external access? If you login via this domain into your LS administration (if this is possible and not blocked by your network admin!), then you should be able to sent the emails with the correct URL to the respondents. But I assume your admin doesn't allow this option from within your local network, right? Otherwise you probably wouldn't ask.

Let's how that one of the developers shows up, they might be able to shed a little bit more of light on your options.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• ConradNg
More
7 years 4 months ago #143987 by ConradNg
Replied by ConradNg on topic external vs internal URL... "conflict"
Help. Any developers out there who can help.

Re: Holch's assumptions are correct
"So there is no way for you to use the Domain that is used for external access? If you login via this domain into your LS administration (if this is possible and not blocked by your network admin!), then you should be able to sent the emails with the correct URL to the respondents. But I assume your admin doesn't allow this option from within your local network, right? Otherwise you probably wouldn't ask."
  • ConradNg
More
7 years 3 months ago #145067 by ConradNg
Resolved

Solution provided by Denis. Many thanks!
In 2.06 there are another solution, maybe you can give it a try.
manual.limesurvey.org/Optional_settings#Advanced_Path_Settings (publicurl)

Then in your application/config/config.php try :
'config'=>array(
// debug: Set this to 1 if you are looking for errors. If you still get no errors after enabling this
// then please check your error-logs - either in your hosting provider admin panel or in some /logs directory
// on your webspace.
// LimeSurvey developers: Set this to 2 to additionally display STRICT PHP error messages and get full access to standard templates
'debug'=>0,
'debugsql'=>0, // Set this to 1 to enanble sql logging, only active when debug = 2
'publicurl'=>' survey.prospercanada.org ',
)
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago #145092 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic [Resolved] external vs internal URL... "conflict"
Manual updated, this settting was added in 2.00, i think it work on 2.5X branch.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose