Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Stable place to download the latest LimeSurvey URL from for automated deployment

More
7 years 7 months ago #140015 by shorn
I build LimeSurvey as a docker container, and as far as possible I want my build to be stable and repeatable.

Part of that is downloading and installing a specific versioin of the LimeSurvey archive.

Initially, I was using the download url from the website:
www.limesurvey.org/stable-release?downlo...0plus-build160804zip

But it seems I can't use the download link from the website, the URL seems to get decommissioned not long after the next release comes out, which would then cause the docker image build to fail (unless it was cached).

So now I've switched to using the archive download from github:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/archive...0_plus_160731.tar.gz

I have two questions.

1) Is there any reason I shouldn't be using the github archive to install LimeSurvey from?
I know using the github release disables ComfortSurvey functionality, that's actually a good thing for me.

2) Why does the relase tag on github lag behing the download URL on the website?
Both links in the description above were copied on 2016-08-08, but as you can see: the latest website version is "limesurvey250plus-build160804", but the latest tag in Github is actually "2.50_plus_160731".
It's not a big deal to me, I'm just curious about your build process and how that happens (not the first time I've seen website and github out of sync)?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 7 months ago #140060 by holch
Your post will be probably not be seen by the developers here in this forum. I will move it to the "development" forum, but even there chances are not too high that the core developers will see it.

I would recommend to open a bug report, because this is how you probably will reach the team best.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
7 years 7 months ago #140061 by holch
Probably I don't even have to move this post, because "Installation" describes it also pretty good.

Create a bug report and a link to this post, this is probably the easiest and quickest option.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose