Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Allow survey only on PC and Laptop

• Andrea01
  • Andrea01's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #139959 by Andrea01
Allow survey only on PC and Laptop was created by Andrea01
I have a survey which is optimized for PC and Laptop. Is there a way to detect the participants device and redirct them if they participate via mobile Browsers (mobile phone or tablet)?

Thanks and best regards
Andrea
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 7 months ago #139963 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Allow survey only on PC and Laptop
There is no 100% method to detect mobile devices.
I cannot recommend the use of detectionscripts.
Mostly they rely on the OS/Broweragentstring or just use the screen resolution / viewport dimensions.
If you use e.g. virtual machines for browsing, where the resolution / viewport is smaller then these scripts identify you as a mobil user.
Yesterday I accessed a website with a product configuration via a subnotebook with 1366x768 and I was shown a message, that I should use a notebook to access the configuration. Did I inform the webmaster about this buggy script. No.

There are mobile devices with browsers which can be switched into a desktop mode (eg. chrome). That will enforce that the website don't use the smart ass detection of mobile optimization. From time to time new modes are added to browser and the detection scripts need an update since they got confused.

I warn people if the survey isn't easy or not optimized for mobile usage. I put these warnings in the invitation and at the start of the survey.
Guess what, there are still users with answer these surveys with their iphones and ipads. If it fine for them, it is fine for me.
But I cannot afford to piss of people eager to answer the survey.

if you use detection scripts ensure that people can override the detection. It is the same crap with language detection. The website know better than me what language I want to read.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrea01
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 7 months ago #139974 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Allow survey only on PC and Laptop
I agree with Jelo. I always get annoyed when a script tries to force something on me.

Example:
May Windows in in Portuguese (because it was only sold with single language windows, so I have to stick with that).
Most of my software, especially browsers is in English. Because the best information and tutorials are usually in English.
But then I might want to read your content in German, or Spanish...

Also on the tablet: I hate the cribled mobile sites, because if you have a tablet the desktop site will work well and usually is a lot quicker to use, with less scrolling, etc. So I use opera, because I can "fake" a computer enviroment there and I get rid of the stupid mobile site...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrea01

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose