Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

You can't save changes because the template directory is not writable.

• kripp88
  • kripp88's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #129726 by kripp88
Hello, I am using LS Version 2.00+ Build 130802. We had recently started some attempts to updgrade LS to a new version and they were unsuccesful so we rolled everything back. Now we are seeing an issue where templates cannot be edited because we are getting the message, "You can't save changes because the template directory is not writable." I have checked permissions on the server and it appears that the "/upload/templates" folder shows as Read-Only, and I can update it. Everytime I re-open the permissions on that folder though it is still marked as Read-Only. I have done some research and it appears that this is just a Windows bug. All sub-folders and files are correctly marked as not Read-Only. Is there something else I need to do? I have another Limesurvey instance where the "/upload/templates" folder is also 'fake' marked as Read-Only but I'm not having this issue.

Thanks,
Kyle
The topic has been locked.
  • kripp88
More
8 years 2 months ago #129914 by kripp88
Anyone have any ideas? I still can't figure this out at a LS or Windows level. I've compared all privileges on the /upload folder and it's subfolders versus other working LS instances and they both match.

Thanks,
Kyle
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 2 months ago #129915 by holch
I would say that has to do with the windows rights management (didn't even know that this exists).

Do you run Limesurvey on a normal computer (e.g. with XAMPP) or do you run it on a real Windows Server with ISS and everything?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• kripp88
More
8 years 2 months ago #129951 by kripp88
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "Windows rights management"? In what context I mean?

Also, yes it is running on a Windows server using IIS.

Thanks,
Kyle
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 2 months ago #129964 by DenisChenu
The write access must be done for "web server user" , i don't know IIS

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
8 years 2 months ago #129966 by holch
Well, in Linux there is a rights management for files and folders, which defines which users and which user groups can do what with a folder or a file (read, write, etc.).

I assume that on a Windows server there must be something similar.

On my desktop, where I run a local webserver for testing and developing Limesurvey, there is no such thing as a rights management and all files and folders always have full rights for everyone. So there you do not define special rights on specific folders/files for Limesurvey to work.

On a Linux webserver you have to use chmod to give specific rights to a few of the folders (so that limesurvey can write files, e.g. for templates and uploads, etc.).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose