Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Admin login not available

• LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 months ago #129332 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Admin login not available
All the possibilities to enable/disable/control comfortUpdate have been put back in 2.5.

LimeSurvey community, and LimeSurvey admins over the world, had a huge problem with updates those last years. We have way too many installations based on old released (2.05, 2.00, 1.9x, etc.), which is a huge problem for everybody. The last huge security issue found on all the 2.x is just an illustration of it.

Until now, not enough people were aware that the comfortUpdate exists. It was hard to find it in the global settings, and like invisible for most people. It was really important to push people to use it, and to update LimeSurvey, with very clear and visible update notifications. It was very important that normal users, managers, directors, became aware that updates were available for LimeSurvey, and that they push their IT teams and LimeSurvey administrators to update, because too much of them wasn't doing it at all.. We started this politic few time before the huge security issue was found. Just in time.

In 2.5, the comfortUpdate is really visible, from the landing page, and the notification system will be less aggressive and more elegant. So we'll give back the whole power to LimeSurvey administrators.

About the unstable branch : we still need more testers. So please, come to it, test it, report bugs, ask for features, say what you like, dislike. We need you, we're doing it for you.
The topic has been locked.
  • tammo
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 4 months ago #129333 by tammo
Replied by tammo on topic Admin login not available
Possible solution:

Default: Comfort update only shows stable releases
Developer preference (setting in config or somewhere in backend): also show instable releases

I would find this more elegant.

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 4 months ago #129338 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Admin login not available

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #129341 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Admin login not available
Denis, I don't think the problem is not "I don't want it" for me personally. The messages about the unstable release on my production server annoy me, but I simply ignore them.

The problem are cases like above: People don't always read exactly what the message says, or they don't really understand it fully. And then of course they run into problems because they "upgraded" to an unstable branch.

So, to clear this up: I really like the ComfortUpdate. I think it is a big improvement for Limesurvey (probably the biggest since EM) and it should help to reduce the number of old installations out there.

I even like the idea that you can use ComfortUpdate for unstable releases. It makes it a lot easier to install unstable branches and test them and follow the different steps.

BUT: the unstable releases should NOT be offered as an upgrade in a normal installation. There should be an option where you can mark that you want to upgrade the unstable version, but it should not be shown like security updates or stable releases.

This way we avoid problems with people upgrading to an unstable release because they don't know what they are doing. I think this is a common practice and I don't understand why this was implemented in the first place. From what I can see here in the forum, we don't just have "professional" LS admin, but a lot of people who installed it for their thesis, etc. and they often are not very familiar with the administration of web applications. The installation routine of LS has made it easy even for not so experienced people to install and the forum is also making a good effort to help them with their "adventure". We should also make it as easy as possible for them to keep LS up to date. With ComfortUpdate it is very easy, but at the moment, with these messages there is also a risk to do something "stupid" and this should be avoided (and in my opinion it can be avoided very easily, simply by NOT offering unstable releases for upgrade so easily like at the moment).

If you make it an opt-in feature in ComfortUpdate then I expect from the user that he knows what he is doing. At the moment it is too easy to make a mistake. Just my opinion.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by holch.
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 4 months ago #129347 by DenisChenu
Hi holch,

I think too update to ComortUpdate is too simple, there are not a lot of confirmation. And another issue :
- You have a security update
- Click on the link
- The first button is the unstable update.

Not a lot of confirmation here : must have an red waring alert :).

But i do what i can ....
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9846
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9879
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9888

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
More
8 years 4 months ago #129378 by bnwimmer
Replied by bnwimmer on topic Admin login not available
Also made a Comfort Update since they said it is a security fix. Now my admin login is gone, showing a server 500 error. Any ideas what I can do? Thats a great security fix, taking the site down. Well, it is secure now, but unusable, too.
More
8 years 3 months ago #129767 by marcgold
Replied by marcgold on topic Admin login not available
Great Plugin did exactly what it says on the tin :)
Now the top banner telling everyone that there is an unstable update is gone.

Would it be possible to update the plugin so that it hides it in the comfort update screen as well, it really shouldnt be there on a production system.

Thanks

Marc
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #129775 by DenisChenu

marcgold wrote: Great Plugin did exactly what it says on the tin :)
Now the top banner telling everyone that there is an unstable update is gone.

I'm unsure it's the good plave for this information.

marcgold wrote: Would it be possible to update the plugin so that it hides it in the comfort update screen as well, it really shouldnt be there on a production system.

All is possible .... with time to do it.

Oh, goit it ... sorry : good place

This line :
git.framasoft.org/SondagePro-LimeSurvey-...eUpdateAdmin.php#L41

Update it to
Code:
App()->clientScript->registerCss('hideunstable',"#update-alert{display:none}");

I want to do some test : if user are super admin : show it, else no. But no time actually

Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by DenisChenu.
More
8 years 3 months ago #129849 by marcgold
Replied by marcgold on topic Admin login not available
Thanks for this, wasn't what I was looking for, but pointed me in the right direct.

I was talking about the Comfort update screen where it lists both the Stable and Unstable updates that are shown as available.
But a simple change to your code above achieves the desired result.

Change Line 41
App()->clientScript->registerCss('hideunstable',"#update-alert{display:none} #udapteButtonsContainer{display:none}");

Thanks.

Marc Gold
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 3 months ago #129967 by DenisChenu
Oh yes ....

@todo:
- Option to hide update button (according to update hidden)
- Option to hide all update
- Option to Alwais hide all update excepot for super admin

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose