Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Blank pages after not changing a thing?!

• kragen01
  • kragen01's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago #123612 by kragen01
Replied by kragen01 on topic Blank pages after not changing a thing?!
Hello again,
Even though one.com can now reproduce the issue, they don't know what to do about it, suggested to optimise the database (done) and suggested that it may be server overload if updated db didn't solve the issue! Which of course is not acceptable, so I will need to change my hosting. Are there any good options for hosting of Limesurvey that will actually work? I can see in the manual that 1and1 is listed as a compatible hoster. I have access to a domain hosted there so could set it up there - but PHP memory limit is 81M so I'm worried it will not work either?
Alternatively, I guess the 'easy' option would be LimeService? Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help - really need to get this survey out!
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 8 months ago #123614 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Blank pages after not changing a thing?!
The easy and quick option is in fact Limeservice. I have never used them, but as it is run by Carsten, the project leader, I assume it is as stable as Limesurvey hosting gets. Pricing sounds reasonable as well. But as I said, no personal experience.

I am running my installation on a VPS (Virtual private server) which gives you a lot more freedom, but usually requires a little bit more knowledge. Mine is managed, so I have actually someone who gives support. Thus it is slightly more expensive.

I haven't used 1and1 for a while, but back then it wasn't the best choice. For simple and small surveys and only a few respondents most PHP/Mysql hosts work. But when the survey is bigger and you have more participants, it is good to have some power on the server. Shared hosting has always limits there.

So if you are really under time pressure, I would go for the Limeservice option, because you should be up and running in no time. If you have a little more time you can do some tests. I have run Limesurvey succesfully on Allinkl.com shared webspace before, but the survey wasn't too big and the were not too many respondents (maybe 200 or so).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kragen01
  • kragen01
  • kragen01's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 8 months ago #123619 by kragen01
Replied by kragen01 on topic Blank pages after not changing a thing?!
Okay, LimeService it is then. Might just set it up and spend a day or two testing... Thanks very much for all your help!
And I guess this serves as a warning to anyone dealing with large surveys: one.com just isn't good enough...

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose