Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Question Validation Warning messages Text Location

• anblik
  • anblik's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #246393 by anblik
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [6.5]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: [own server]
Survey theme/template: [vanilla bootstrap]
==================
I have created a Survey Form, and the Survey is already activated.

The question is, I am unable to locate the place where I can change the Individual Question Validation (Warning or Success or Tips) text messages. 

I wanted to change the Warning message to something new.

Kindly suggests the location of all these warning text messages.
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by anblik. Reason: Spelling

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246526 by holch
depending on which "question validation messages" you are referring to. The question validation that you set your own in the field "question validation" you can change exactly there.

If it is the general validations they are part of the language files, so you basically would need to "translate" them. However, keep in mind that any update to this language file will overwrite your messages. So you either create your own "language" (but will never receive updates), or you overwrite these messages with Javascript or something.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• anblik
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246529 by anblik
Thanks for your reply.

I am using "Image Select List (Radio)" as Question Type.

I didn't find any "question validation" field anywhere?

The question looks like this: ibb.co/DQP9rzp

Survey backend: ibb.co/LYwHsLY

Why LimeSurvey has included Validation text as a part of the Language file, no idea. If updating the lang file becomes a blockage for future Lang updates, then it is a big issue even.

Overwring messages using JS inject is possible but again a difficult process for a simple change.

• Joffm
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246533 by Joffm
Just a question:
What is your concern?
What I see:
You use an English GUI, probably a survey with base language "English", but use German answer options.
Furthermore your screenshot of the GUI shows a "mandatory" question, but the question itself seems to be "soft mandatory".

So what exactly is your goal?

And: 

I didn't find any "question validation" field anywhere?

In "Logic"

A very easy solution:
Hide the "question-valid-container" by css and insert your own messages into the question text with ExpressionScript.

Joffm

P.S.
There is no version 6.5. (not yet). Please try to add the correct version.
Why don't you simply attach your images instead of using a separate file hoster?

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• holch
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #246539 by holch
Language files have there advantages and disadvantages. In most cases the standard texts do not need to be changed anyway. But what exactly do you want to change, like Joffm says?

If it is about "Sonstiges? for the other option: The other option can be overwritten from the guy. But it seems that there is something wrong. Not quite sure what it is, but either you have chosen the wrong base language, or you have changed the wording of the item "other" to "sonstiges" via the GUI.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• anblik
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247481 by anblik
Thanks for your reply. 

Sorry, I am using LS 6.2.5, and your reply for Mandatory and Soft has cleared a few of my doubts. I successfully compiled the PO and uploaded the MO in the host Lang > EN folder.

The last time I used Quick Reply in this Forum and so I didn't find any option to upload Images as attachments, so once you pointed out that uploading images locally is possible, I found the Main reply button under > Action button. So here I am now.

Your advice for hiding answers using CSS and then using ExpressionScript./ Yes, I have to do a little more research on ExpressionScript.

I am slowly getting a hold of this system. Overall, thank you very much for your answer. I appreciate your time on this.

• anblik
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #247570 by anblik
@holch, Thanks for your reply.

I would like to change a few of the Validation messages and try to make them look softer for Kids community.

Say, a Required Field says, "This question is mandatory"

I would like to say, "Please fill out this field."

I do understand the reason of using PO lang file for Validation messages. LS is being used by vast community of people and it includes all standard Survey Validation messages to help us create a Survey very quickly.

That's my mistake that I have two Survey Forms (similar and imported), one is ACTIVE, and another is in DEACTIVE mode (for testing purposes). While posting my Forum post, I shared questions (Backend) from one Survey Form and Shared Answers/Validation (Frontend) from another Survey Form where I was experimenting with LS6.2.5 features :) 

Both of you pointed me out on this and I apologize for creating confusion in my post.

Thanks for your time.

• tpartner
More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #248512 by tpartner

I would like to change a few of the Validation messages and try to make them look softer for Kids community.

Say, a Required Field says, "This question is mandatory"

I would like to say, "Please fill out this field."
Hide the tip and insert your own text in the question.

- manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Li...e_tip_.28hide_tip.29

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by tpartner.

• anblik
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #248876 by anblik
@tapartner, thank you very much for the references. It helps!

• Joffm
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #249131 by Joffm
In my opinion this is your concern.
The message that appears if the question is not answered in a valid way.
Here the manual says
However, if the user enters invalid data, the tips will appear. They will be coloured in red, getting changed to green once the validation criteria are met.

So, even if you "hide the tip" in case of an invalid answer it will be displayed.
[

attachment=35516]a3.PNG[/attachment]

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• holch
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #250035 by holch
If you go down the text file route, you could think of making a copy of the language file and create your own language, e.g. "English for kids". As this wouldn't be a file that exists in Limesurvey in general, it should not be overwritten during updates. Have a look at manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSurvey and "create a new translation".

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose