Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Participant-based response persistence not working in 6.0.0?

• MikeatEduTech
  • MikeatEduTech's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 2 weeks ago - 1 year 2 weeks ago #242287 by MikeatEduTech
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 6.0.0+230405
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: Own server
Survey theme/template: Extended fruity
==================
Windows server, IIS 10, MSSQL db, PHP 8.2.4

I cannot get participant-based response persistence to work on 6.0.0. I wanted to check here to see if I might be missing anything before submitting a ticket.

My steps:
Create fresh survey, NON-anonymized.
Add a participant.
Generate token.
Set "Enable Participant-based response persistence" to "On".
Activate survey.
Send email to participant.
Use email link to open survey.
Fill out responses and close survey page without submitting.
Re-open survey with email link. Result: nothing was saved and survey responses are completely blank.

I also tried again by enabling "Participant may save and resume later", which does work when the save/resume button is clicked. But I cannot get the persistence setting to work at all.

I did not see anything in the debug log.

Am I missing a setting somewhere?
Last edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by MikeatEduTech. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #242288 by tpartner
As far as I know, PHP 8.2 is not supported - manual.limesurvey.org/index.php?title=In...=176140&oldid=175637

You need to submit (save) at least one page (group). The persistence will return you to the last submitted group.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• MikeatEduTech
More
1 year 2 weeks ago #242290 by MikeatEduTech
Oh, thank you for the clarifications. I went with 8.2. because the download page just says "7.2.5 or newer". I'll replace it with 8.1.

• DenisChenu
More
1 year 1 week ago #242411 by DenisChenu
Ticket can be submitted for 8.2 , just put it in title :)

Here : maybe it's an issue in 8.1 too :)

> Re-open survey with email link. Result: nothing was saved and survey responses are completely blank.

Seems clearly an issue

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

• MikeatEduTech
More
1 year 1 week ago #242431 by MikeatEduTech
Denis, I may have just misunderstood the mechanics of this feature. I tried again after breaking up my survey into several question groups, and the selected responses were persistent on pages where I had already clicked "Next". But the selections did not persist in the current page/question group.

Maybe the manual needs to be updated if these are the intended mechanics. Here is the description from the English manual :

If your survey uses tokens and your responses are not anonymized, you may want to enable this feature. If you turn this on, your participants will be able to leave the survey and resume later at any time without using the "Resume later" function - for example, when they get distracted or their browser crashes. Upon clicking the invitation link again, they will find their survey answers still in place when they return to the survey and will even find themselves on the same page where they were before leaving.

I will also note that, in my testing, returning to the survey puts the participant at the previous page rather the same page.

• tpartner
More
1 year 1 week ago #242433 by tpartner

You need to submit (save) at least one page (group). The persistence will return you to the last submitted group.
Err....

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• DenisChenu
More
1 year 1 week ago - 1 year 1 week ago #242435 by DenisChenu

Denis, I may have just misunderstood the mechanics of this feature. I tried again after breaking up my survey into several question groups, and the selected responses were persistent on pages where I had already clicked "Next". But the selections did not persist in the current page/question group. 
You mean previous response done with same token are not reloaded ? What happen when you click save on current page ?

I will also note that, in my testing, returning to the survey puts the participant at the previous page rather the same page.

Know issue and a potential fix : gitlab.com/SondagesPro/coreAndTools/KeepCurrentStep

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 1 year 1 week ago by DenisChenu. Reason: and a potential fix

• MikeatEduTech
More
1 year 1 week ago #242439 by MikeatEduTech

You mean previous response done with same token are not reloaded ? What happen when you click save on current page ?

Yes. There is no Save button on the page, there is only a Next button until the final page with a Submit button. I have been testing only with token-based persistence turned on. "Participant may save and resume later" is not turned on in my testing. But when "Participant may save and resume later" is turned on, it behaves as expected with all responses from the current page being retained after the Resume later button is clicked. The Resume later feature also returns the participant to the current page in the next session.

I was expecting the token-based persistence to function like the save and resume later feature, but without the participant needing to click an additional button.

• holch
More
1 year 1 week ago #242446 by holch
if no "button" (next or submit) was clicked on a page, no answers are saved.

The "Save and resume later" button basically saves also the responses on the current page.

But if someone fills some questions on the current page and then leaves without clicking "next" or "submit", only the responses on previous pages are stored in the database, the answers on the page where the left are lost.

I agree, that the text in the manual doesn't mention this fact. The manual is a wiki and anyone can contribute and improve it.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose