Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Best web browser

• zauffye
  • zauffye's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #153204 by zauffye
Best web browser was created by zauffye
Hi everybody,

I am currently working with limesurvey on a study conducted among teenagers. They are ansering to the survey using a computer. I was wonderging if there was a web browser whith which it is better to use limesurvey in terms of efficiency and in terms of design? (We are facing numerous slowdown and bugs.)

Thank you in advance for your answer.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 10 months ago #153206 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Best web browser
Slowdowns and bugs usually have little to do with the browser. Generally, LS should work with most modern browsers, including mobile devices.

So I think you should provide a little bit more information to find out where the problem is:
Which Limesurvey version?
Which template? (One that comes with limesurvey, a custom one, etc.)
What is your hosting environment?
Etc., etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• zauffye
More
6 years 10 months ago #153230 by zauffye
Replied by zauffye on topic Best web browser
Dear Holch,

Thank you for your answer.
Our quesitonnaire is hosted on two different server, one with the version 2.05 of LS and the other one with the version 2.64.7. It is a really big questionnaire (71 groups, and 375 questions) that we use with a custom template.
The teenagers are answering the survey in the computer classroom of their own school during school time.
The bugs and slowdown usually don't show up if there is only one class which answers to the survey but as soon as there is more than 20-30 teenagers on the same time, both LS have shown slowdown and error pages. That's why we were wondering if there was a web browser with which it would limit the risk of slowdown.

Thank you in advance for your answer.
  • holch
More
6 years 10 months ago #153251 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Best web browser
Well, reading your problem description I don't see how this can be a browser problem. If it would be a browser problem, this would happen even if there is only 1 student responding, because the problem would be located on the students' machines.
This rather sounds like a server/hosting or network problem.
How is this survey hosted? Internally? Externally? What resources does the server have?
How is the local network? Cable or Wifi?
I would speak to the server admin and to the network admin.
One other point: Limesurvey generates relatively big session files. When the space where the sessions are stored is very small, this can create problems with more students accessing.
But I really don't see how a browser can impact on this or be the reason for this behaviour.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• zauffye
More
6 years 10 months ago #153509 by zauffye
Replied by zauffye on topic Best web browser
Dear Holch,
Thank you very much for your answers.
It is a little bit difficult for me to answer your questions since our survey is hosted on two different servers.
One of them is hosted externally, and I don't know about the other one. Considering the local network, it depends on the schools. I know that many have a cable network, but I guess some of them might have a wifi network.
Your point about the temporary files is really interesting. Since our questionnaire is really big, I am afraid that the session files might be even bigger and thus, the space is quickly full. I might inverstigate this point.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 7 months ago #157694 by LouisGac
Replied by LouisGac on topic Best web browser
most of the dev team is using Chrome, so I would suggest using Chrome.
but yes, it should work on any modern web browser.
  • DenisChenu
More
6 years 6 months ago #157785 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Best web browser
Chromium or Firefox, but not chrome . And Electronic Frontier Foundation was more happy ;)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose