Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Showing only 1 of 4 question groups, when groups randomized

• Lodore
  • Lodore's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 3 months ago #114729 by Lodore
Hello Limesurvey gurus!

I've recently started using Limesurvey, and I've made a sincere effort to get to grips with the interface. However, I have a problem that no searching seems able to resolve. Here's what I want (and can't make) Limesurvey do:

1) I have four question groups, A, B, C, and D. I want the user to be randomly assigned one of these groups when they enter the survey.

2) When the user answers the questions on their randomly assigned group, I want the survey to terminate without going to any of the other groups.

Now, this seems like it should be simple. However, while randomizing the selection is easy enough, this makes it impossible to set conditions on each set of questions, as there's no necessary sequential order to the question groups.

Is there any solution to this problem? Apologies if it's been answered before, I have tried searching at some length without any luck.

Many thanks in advance,

Lodore
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 3 months ago #114731 by tpartner
Have a look at this post about using a random number in an equation type question to control the display of following groups - www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/can-i-do-thi...-of-questions#111784

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
9 years 3 months ago #114742 by Mazi

Lodore wrote: 1) I have four question groups, A, B, C, and D. I want the user to be randomly assigned one of these groups when they enter the survey.

2) When the user answers the questions on their randomly assigned group, I want the survey to terminate without going to any of the other groups.

That exact approach is described here: www.limesurvey-consulting.com/how-to-ran...a-limesurvey-survey/

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • Lodore
More
9 years 3 months ago #114746 by Lodore
Thanks, tpartner and Mazi, for the helpful input. However--and be gentle with my wooden head, here--I'm interested in randomizing the question groups, rather than the questions that are asked within a group. So, I need something like the following:

1) Participant starts survey
2) Particpant gives demographic data
3) Participant is randomly presented to (Question Group A OR Question Group B OR Question Group C OR Question Group D)
4) Participant answers the questions in their question group
5) Survey terminates

Now, it may be that this is implicit in the advice you've already given me. If so, a more expolicit inidication of how I implement it would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
Lodore
  • Mazi
More
9 years 3 months ago #114747 by Mazi
Lodore, you don't need any randomization at the group level. If you pick a random number [1,4] and only show a certain group if the question holding the random number matches that value, this is exactly what you need for 3).

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • tpartner
More
9 years 3 months ago #114748 by tpartner
Sample survey:

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...1739.lss
File Size:16 KB

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Lodore
More
9 years 3 months ago #114752 by Lodore
Ah, the penny has dropped! Didn't realise that the instruction to pick the random question group was itself inserted as a hidden question in the preceding question group.

Thanks, both, for the instruction--and thanks especially, tpartner, for the sample survey: had a I virtual bottle of whiskey to dispense, it would be on the way!

Lodore

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose