Screenouts

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #113082 by holch
holch created the topic: Screenouts
Screenouts are coming up from time to time in the forum.

Unfortunately Limesurvey does not have a real screen out system.

For simple screenout rules the workaround with the zero quotas works quite well.

But what if the screenout needs to be based on more than one question? I was told before, that then "scenarios" should be used. But this would mean that this scenario condition would have to be applied to every subsequent question and also there would be no way to redirect to a different end url (important for panels).

Now I had the idea to use an equation question and create a rule that would write "screenout" or "continue" based on responses to various previous questions. Based on this you could again use the zero quota, but quotas do not work with equation question.

Here is a real life problem: www.limesurvey.org/en/community-services...nking-design?#113066

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.
Some helpful links: Manual (EN) | Question Types | Workarounds
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by holch.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #113098 by tpartner
tpartner replied the topic: Screenouts
You can use the assignment operator in an equation type question to control the screen-out radio question.

Of course, you will want to place the equation question after the radio.

Here's an example equation that would screen-out if gender code is "A1" and the age code is "A5".
{screenout = if(gender == "A1" AND age == "A5","out","in")}

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...0-06.lss
File Size:21 KB

Cheers,
Tony Partner
Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Attachments:

More
3 years 1 month ago #113127 by holch
holch replied the topic: Screenouts
This looks really great, Tony!

I was just wondering if there is any specific reason for the Javascript code in the first two questions. I don't think the code is necessary and these are leftovers, right?

I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member. I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time. No support via private message.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #113129 by DenisChenu
DenisChenu replied the topic: Screenouts
The screenout system with Equation assigment it's the only reason of this bug report : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7895

Denis :)

PS:
- This need a manual page maybe
- Reming fixed for 2.00 up to 130708, broken for 2.05 before 140717

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand (or search sondages pro).
An error happen ? Before make a new topic : remind the Debug mode .
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by DenisChenu.

More
3 years 1 month ago #113131 by holch
Hi Dennis!

Not sure how to read your response. But from what I understood: it is fixed and the equation assignment should work now to use it for screenouts, correct?

More
3 years 1 month ago #113132 by tpartner
tpartner replied the topic: Screenouts

I was just wondering if there is any specific reason for the Javascript code in the first two questions. I don't think the code is necessary and these are leftovers, right?

Yep, sorry, that's what I get for re-using test surveys.

Cheers,
Tony Partner
Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

More
3 years 1 month ago #113133 by holch
No problem! I was just a little confused but it did not make any sense to me, so I thought it might be just a left over.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #113134 by meeko434
meeko434 replied the topic: Screenouts
There is an error message with the link. Thanks so much! So glad holch made a forum for this topic. I used the code tpartner provided, there is no way to test out screenouts on inactive surveys correct? Just want to make sure the screen out works before I send my survey out. You all are awesome!!!
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by meeko434. Reason: forgot information

More
3 years 1 month ago #113135 by holch
Which link?

More
3 years 1 month ago #113137 by meeko434
The example you posted in your first post.

More
3 years 1 month ago #113138 by holch
Ahhh, it is actually just a link to your post about your screening needs over 2 questions. ;-)

But I think, with the example from Tpartner, you should now be able to solve your problem, right?

The following user(s) said Thank You: meeko434

More
3 years 1 month ago #113356 by meeko434
Thanks for all your help, the team at Limesurvey is AWESOME!! Just want to triple check I have this right before I send my survey out. I used the equation tpartner gave me, so those that are being screened out will be presented with my Quota message. I have an end url, will does that aren't screened out be automatically taken to my second survey with the end url or will they still have to click the link? Just want to make sure, don't want to lose participants because they didn't click the link. Thanks

More
3 years 1 month ago #113359 by holch
You should always test your survey before sending it out, with all the different options.

Your respondents should be redirected if you made the right adaptations. If you don't make the right configurations, then they will only be presented with the link to the end url.

Important is to mark "Automatically load URL when survey complete?", then respondents will automatically redirected to this end url.

More
3 years 1 month ago #113360 by meeko434
I have tested it several times, but I thought screenouts are only available on active surveys, I haven't made my survey active to teat the screenout.

More
3 years 1 month ago #113361 by holch
You should also test the screenouts. No one can give you a guarantee if it works. It should, but you never know.

Activate the survey, try the screenouts. This is tedious work, but that is how things work. For ANY research tool. Part of the business.

At the end of the day, YOU need to make sure that everything is running alright. Limesurvey can only give you the tool.

Start now!

Just create your account and start using Limesurvey today.

Register now
Join our Newsletter!