Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

titles between subquestions of the same array

• sociolog
  • sociolog's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #47701 by sociolog
Hello there,

I am a relatively new user. This is my first post. Me and my team are trying to make a sociological study on University graduates, and my task is to turn an offline questionnaire into an online questionnaire. I stumbled onto some troubles when I tried to adapt some more complex questions. I could really use your help with these.

1. I want to insert some titles (or at least empty rows) between the sub-questions of a large flexible array question (see picture 1). This thing is necessary because there are sub-dimensions to this question and I don't want to make 5 questions instead of one since the questionnaire is already too long.

2. Similarly, I would like to use some different answer option labels, but all should appear in the same scale (for example the first two subquestions have the labels "high", "medium" and "low", and the next two use the labels "lower", "same", "higher"), like in picture 2. It doesn't matter if I have to create more questions, but they should appear as if united (appended?) one under another.

I hope what I am asking you is possible. I am not skilled in programming, so please be gentle :)

Thanks in advance,
Vlad

Image 1

Image 2
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by sociolog.
The topic has been locked.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
13 years 6 months ago #47723 by Mazi
1. You can either splitt this up into different questions or use some Javascript to add another line at the question. User "tpartner" has shown several examples on how to use JS within a survey.

2. Same problem as above. Either use different questions or some javascript to exchange labels.
Also take a look at the $repeatheading option: docs.limesurvey.org/tiki-index.php?page=...imeSurvey#Appearance

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • sociolog
More
13 years 6 months ago #47749 by sociolog
Replied by sociolog on topic titles between subquestions of the same array
Thank you for the reply, Mazi.
However, since I am Javascript illiterate, could somebody help me with the Javascript, especially for issue #2? I insisted to use LS as the survey software for this study, and now I find myself unable to "tweak" it.

I kind of got around issue #1 by adding subquestions with blank labels, but I still can't get rid of the answer options for these blank labels (see picture 1).
Another question I would like to ask you is if it is possible to make some answers on a multiple scale (array) only available for some of the subquestions and not for others (see picture 2).

I really love your what your software has to offer in terms of configurability (too bad I am not so skilled in programming to fully use it). I have made a donation on behalf of the University I work with and I promise to help you with the Romanian translation of Limesurvey when I get more time on my hands.

Thanks for your time,
Vlad

IMAGE 3

IMAGE 4
  • Mazi
More
13 years 6 months ago #47794 by Mazi
Hi Vlad,
again the answer is "It's not a default feature but it should be possible with some Javascript".
I'm not aJS expert either. User tpartner offers advanced (paid) support. He is the man for this kind of work.

Dr. Marcel Minke
  • tpartner
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
13 years 6 months ago #48177 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic titles between subquestions of the same array
Vlad, as Mazi says these problems can be solved with JavaScript/CSS but any solution would need to be very specific.

Could you attach a sample survey and what template are you using?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • sociolog
More
13 years 6 months ago #48197 by sociolog
Replied by sociolog on topic titles between subquestions of the same array
Hello tpartner. Thank you for showing interest. I solved the issue using another trick: when naming the subquestions, I put the category name with bold and different colour at the begining of each first category subquestion, a <br/> space and then the actual subquestion label (see picture). It works for me for now (the appearance is not perfect, but it works), but I think it would be great if a later version of Limesurvey would allow the option of inserting breaks or subtitles within a long array type variable, since it helps the respondent to better organize his or her answers.

• Mazi
More
13 years 6 months ago #48242 by Mazi
Nice solution. I would add a linebreak at the answer option previous to the headline so there is a little space and all options have the same height.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
13 years 1 month ago #56192 by adie
Another trick is may be you can just hide all the radio button for the subtitle in the IMAGE 3 above ;-)
Code:
#answer12345X3X12C121-1{
display: none;
}
  • Mazi
More
13 years 1 month ago #56209 by Mazi

adie wrote: Another trick is may be you can just hide all the radio button for the subtitle in the IMAGE 3 above ;-)

Code:
#answer12345X3X12C121-1{
display: none;
}

That might work but keep in mind that you'll run into trouble when making the question mandatory.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
13 years 1 month ago #56407 by adie
Thanks for mentioning that. Mmm, seems that still need to go for javascript :(
  • Mazi
More
13 years 1 month ago #56607 by Mazi
What's your solution now?

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
12 years 3 months ago #70343 by renu81072
Replied by renu81072 on topic titles between subquestions of the same array
Can you please let me know where to add this so that I can use this in my survey URGENTLY. Thanks

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose