Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Urgent: showing one question per group (hiding the others) in randomized groups

• DesperateStudent
  • DesperateStudent's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 1 week ago #258308 by DesperateStudent
  Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: [see right hand bottom of your LimeSurvey admin screen]
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:
Survey theme/template:
==================
Hello everybody.

I'm sorry to bother you with what might be a silly question, but I'm a total newbie to LimeSurvey and I need it to do a school project. However, no one in the informatics department or among my teachers could help me out.

Basically, I'm creating a survey and when I preview the questionnaire, once I reach a specific set of groups it shows no items. Moreover, it's not possible to skip these missing items, because they are mandatory.

The structure of my survey is composed of 9 groups of items are in random order, of which 8 groups have 8 items each, in random order and with a code (in the condition field I put: "sum(item2.relevanceStatus, item3.relevanceStatus, etc.) LT 1") given by my school. This code makes just one item per group appear. The 9th group contains only 1 item.

When I preview each group each group individually, the codes seem to work: only one question appears in each of the 8 groups. The aforementioned problem arises when previewing (or even filling it out when it's public) the survey in its entirety. This makes me believe that it might be a conflict of codes of some sort. For clarification, I will specify some things I intuitively believe might be contributing to the problem:
  1. Each of the 9 groups is called "Question". To randomize them, I put the name "Question" in each randomization string of each of the 9 groups. Additionally, in the school manual it said to randomize the questions of each group in order to make the condition code (sum(...) LT 1) work. 
  2. I had to put this code in the condition field since I don't seem to have a relevance field in my LimeSurvey version.
  3. The survey includes other groups of questions, although they do not need randomization.
Thank you very much for your support. I hope I was as clear as possible, and I am fully available for any clarification.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by DesperateStudent. Reason: Privacy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #258312 by Joffm
Hi,
if it is urgent, you should have
  • answered the questions at the beginning
  • sent the lss export of your survey.

Then we do not have to waste time in guessing your version of LimeSurvey (I assime, 5.x or 6.x, - in 5.x "relevance equation" was changed to "condition") 
and creating a survey like yours.

And we do not see your mistake. Your description seems to be fine at first sight.

So, please, send the lss export.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

• DesperateStudent
  • DesperateStudent's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #258327 by DesperateStudent
Hello, thank you for your swift answer!

I attached the file to the post, but I do not know what questions you were referring to.

Thank you for your kind attention.

• Joffm
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #258329 by Joffm
Hi,
You used the same randomization group name .
So ALL your 64 questions are shuffled.
And some 8 are in the first group.
So the condition with the relevanceStatus doesn't fit at all.

Either you use different randomization group names for the questions in each group, like "Tak1", "Task2", ,,,

Or two much simplier approaches.
1. Use a simple random number to select randomly one of the eight questions in each group.
Create 8 questions of type equation at the start of  the first group.("rand1", "rand2",..., "rand8")
Each with the equation {if(is_empty(self),rand(1,8 ),self)}. And you hide these questions.

Now the condition of your questions is only "rand1==1", "rand1==2",... "rand4==7",...
No need for randomization group names on question level.

2. Split each of the question groups into two "Question1a" / "Question1b", "Question2a" / "Question2b", ...
Set each "QuestionXb" to hidden by entering a condition "0" and do not enter a randomization group name.
Put only one question into the groups "QuestionXa", the rest into "QuestionXb"
All questions in these two groups get the same randomization group name as above "Task1", "Task2",..., "Task8"

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Joffm.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose