Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Importing large number of participants from a CSV results in Gateway Timeout.

• mhladun
  • mhladun's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 months 1 week ago #254825 by mhladun
Environment information:
  • LimeSurvey version: 5.6.46
  • LimeSurvey build: 231121
  • Operating system: CentOS 8.5
  • PHP version: 8.0.22
  • Server API: FPM/Fast-CGI
  •  
  • Web server software: Apache/2.4.37 (centos) OpenSSL/1.1.1k
  • Database driver: pgsql
  • Database driver version: 13.3
  • Database server info: Client Encoding: UTF8; Date Style: ISO, DMY
  • Database server version: 13.12.18
Hi there,

Recently, we've discovered a potential LimeSurvey issue when importing participants from a CSV.

The CSV is 1.7MB in size, with 45,260 records. It only contains 3 columns labelled firstname, lastname, email, and the data has been cleansed so it only contains valid data. The attached image shows the import settings used.

When clicking Upload (the Upload button is not disabled - it can be clicked repeatedly), the page goes into a loading state (indicated by an icon on the browser tab) for a full 60 seconds until the PHP socket timeout value is reached. Once that happened a Gateway Timeout Error is displayed, and I had to close my browser before being able to navigate back to out LimeSurvey instance - it simply would not load.

After initially visiting the participants settings tab, it listed ~10k participants were in the participant table. When I returned later, it displayed the full 45,620 records.

We plan to increase the Timeout settings, but if the CSV import is going to take over 1 minute for ~45k records/1.7MB, I'd like to recommend implementing some type of automated user feedback like "This will take some time, please come back later.", and freezing the upload button if the user remains on that page.

Thank you for your attention to this submission.

Cheers,
Michael

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 months 6 days ago #254841 by tpartner

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• mhladun
  • mhladun's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 months 5 days ago #254850 by mhladun
Alright, thanks Tony. I've submitted a feature request at bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=19370 .
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose