Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Are session file sizes affected by the number of languages

• paulfiner
  • paulfiner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #254146 by paulfiner
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: 3.25.17
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting:Own
Survey theme/template:Fruity
==================
I'm currently running a survey with 9 languages setup and I'm experiencing a much higher number of dropouts than usual.
I upgraded the server the system is running on to a dedicated server with 64GB of Ram and 8 CPU cores yesterday morning but the dropouts haven't improved overnight.
Would the number of languages affect the size of the session files and is there anything I can do/check to improve this situation?

Any idea roughly what the maximum number of simultaneous connections I could hope to achieve with this?

I have run lots of surveys previous to this without issue but they were  all just one language.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #254156 by holch
Your dropouts might not be necessarily due to technical reasons, but maybe there are reasons within the sample or the questionnaire itself. Can you see where exactly those dropouts happen?

Reasons I can imagine top of my head that might cause problems with multilingual surveys:
- Approach / language of the questionnaire
- Bad sample quality
- People receive the wrong language as default

In general, we usually try to avoid to run surveys multilingual, but rather have one survey per country/language. Because often you also need to change the structure / questions of the survey a bit, when adapting to different countries, etc.

But of course, multilingual surveys should work. No idea if the size of the session files increases, maybe someone else can help there.

But maybe you can check what the size of these session files currently is, that might be a good indicator already.

Your server specs look pretty good, how is it connected to the internet? What bandwidth does it have?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• paulfiner
  • paulfiner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 months 3 weeks ago #254159 by paulfiner
I wanted to avoid having a separate survey for each language as making client requested changes would mean a lot more work.

I'm pretty sure the sample is good quality and respondents have the correct language passed in.

Do you know where the limesurvey session files are located?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose