Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

VM sizing calculation for concurrent user load testing

• Hasan88
  • Hasan88's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #154548 by Hasan88
Hello,
I like to share my used resources in VM for limesurvey as bellow:

#OS: MS Windows 2012R2
#OS Archi: x86_64
#Processor Archi: Intel x86 (2 core)
#MySQL 5.5
#RAM: 8GB
#OS Drive: 80 GB
#Data Drive: 50 GB

We need to support at least 500 concurrent users/participants to submit their survey. Is the above hardware size much enough to support that?

Is there any standard calculating approach to estimating the VM specification of limesurvey to meet a specific concurrent users (eg; 500) ?

Many Thanks for your help.

BR-
Al-Hasan
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 10 months ago #154644 by holch
Due to the complexity of the problem it is basically impossible to have standard calculation approach.

The required resources can depend on a lot of factors that you would need to include into the equation.

The disc sizes are relative irrelevant. The size you have should be more than enough to install Limesurvey and have a decent sized Database.
What is more relevant is the type of disc and the IO I guess. SSDs usually are quicker and that helps. But the main factor is probably the RAM. The more, the better.
But then, what you need will depend on the size of the survey, the length of the survey, the complexity of the surve, etc. While one survey might run quick and without problems, another survey with a different structure might cause problems. So I guess the only way to find out is testing under conditions similar to your real situation. 500 concurrent users is quite a bit. How do you figure that you will have to handle 500 people accessing the survey at the very same second/time? Sometimes you can also avoid peaks with a clever way to recruit / invite people, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose