Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Iteration wuth groups of question

More
7 years 1 month ago #148342 by n8te
Iteration wuth groups of question was created by n8te
Hey There.

I'm new here and face some issues into the making of my online questionnaire.
My initial goal was to create an iteration system through groups of question. At the end of each group of question, people have a question Y/N, if they answered YES, they have the same questions again.

I asked the software advisor of my office and he said that it wasn't possible to iterate... . Then I said "ok, I will then go for copying groups of question, importing and then change the group name". Within that context, I have several questions:

- Is that true that it is not possible to iterate groups of question?

- Do I have to rename the question code if they are in different groups? I have to copy the group of question 15 or 20 times and the group contains 15 questions in it, meaning a lot of very boring work.

- The next group of question following the iteration is depending on the answer of one question in a group... Meaning that, if the iteration system is not working, I'll have to write a lot of conditions and scenarii. Is there a possible way to make it easier?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 1 month ago #148344 by n8te
Replied by n8te on topic Iteration wuth groups of question
By example, concerning the issue of question code, isn't it a way to generate automatically the name of the group in the question code?
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #148345 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Iteration wuth groups of question

n8te wrote: Then I said "ok, I will then go for copying groups of question, importing and then change the group name".

You're on the good track

n8te wrote: I have to copy the group of question 15 or 20 times and the group contains 15 questions in it, meaning a lot of very boring work.

I recommend you to have a look at the following user manual page:
manual.limesurvey.org/Excel_Survey_Structure

BTW you can also open .lsg files (export group XML file) and edit some IDs or labels with a good text editor (before re-importation) ;)

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Ben_V.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #148362 by n8te
Thank you Ben for your answer. I think the link you referenced will indeed help me seeing that it looks like not possible to insert macrovariable into question code.
More
7 years 1 month ago #148364 by Ben_V

n8te wrote: ...it looks like not possible to insert macrovariable into question code.

Question codes must start with a letter and may only contain alphanumeric characters (15 or 20 max....i'm not sure).

Related => manual.limesurvey.org/Show_Logic_File#Obsolete_variable_names

Benoît

More
7 years 1 month ago #148403 by n8te
Hey there.

Thanks again for the information, it was very useful and time saver! I could copy pretty easily more than 30 groups of question and the questionnaire seems working correctly.

But now, I'm facing another issue with the importation: most of the Text and Help column does not appear on the questionnaire. I saved the file as an text file with tabulation separator. Do you have any idea?
More
7 years 1 month ago #148416 by Ben_V

n8te wrote: I'm facing another issue with the importation

Do you mean you're moving your survey to your production environment ?

Try to dump the database and look into your sql file if you can find any occurrences of some missing strings... If you can (no other surveys or lots users) you can also try to import the whole database directly

Is your survey in english ?

Benoît

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #148424 by n8te
Hmmm, I think I figured out the issue. So what I did is exporting the whole questionnaire on a txt format with tabulation separator. I then opened it in excel, did my stuffs to duplicate groups of question and changing questions code with the replace function. I then saved the file in both txt (tabulation separator) and csv format and tried to create a new questionnaire through importation with the txt or csv file (I tried both methods). So the questionnaire is working but some questions titles are truncated when it has to read special strings. It should be linked to UNICODE format but I do not know how to fix it. when I read my txt or csv file, every special string is correctly read.
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by n8te.
More
7 years 1 month ago #148426 by n8te
Ok I fixed it :). There was a special way to save a txt file with unicode format.
Thanks again for your time and your replies :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose