Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Problems with question codes

More
7 years 1 month ago #148176 by Maddy
Problems with question codes was created by Maddy
Hi. I have two problems with the question codes I hope you can help me with. Firstly the question code box does not seem to accept any fullstops for example? So I am struggling to number my questions. Say I want to write "Q1.2.3", it won't accept it. I literally have to type in "point" (Q1point2point3) to be able to number my questions.

Secondly, I, for example, started a new question. The question code is "A2" and the question simply "2.". However when I execute the survey, it numbers the question as "14 2. How long has the................". Why does it view like this?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #148179 by fvanderstarre
Replied by fvanderstarre on topic Problems with question codes
Hi Maddy,

1. The only characters accepted for question codes are letters or digits

2. You probaly have set "show question number - Yes" in your survey's general settings ( - Presentation & Navigation tab)

You may also find some useful information here: manual.limesurvey.org/ ;-)
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by fvanderstarre. Reason: Additional info
More
7 years 1 month ago #148180 by Maddy
Replied by Maddy on topic Problems with question codes
Hi thanx for the reply. Yes I did set "show question number" as I want the number to show. But its not showing the number correctly. The number is "2." but when viewing it puts a number 14 infront of the '2'. I don't understand why?
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 1 month ago #148192 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Problems with question codes
The number inserted by LimeSurvey is simply an indication of the index of that question within the survey and, depending on hidden questions, may not accurately reflect the actual visual placement of the question.

I suspect that the other value you are seeing is the question code.

If you want to show question numbers, it is far safer to simply add them to the question text.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
7 years 1 month ago #148194 by Maddy
Replied by Maddy on topic Problems with question codes
Thanx Tony, if you open my attachment you will see that I do put my question numbers infront of my question in any case. And I set the option 'show question numbers only', so it's suppose to only show my question number but it adds its own numbers. It is not the question code number. If you look at the example, my question code number is "A2" whereas my question number is only "2".
  • holch
More
7 years 1 month ago #148196 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Problems with question codes
The 14 is automatically inserted because for Limesurvey this is your Question Number. Switch off show question number and it will only show what you have written into your question text, which already contains the question number that you want to show.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
7 years 1 month ago #148224 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Problems with question codes
And please : don't put bug when it's not a bug : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=12112#c42946

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose