Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

What is the best approach for private survey for several hundred

• teracomp
  • teracomp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #146693 by teracomp
What is the best approach for a survey that might have 2,000 responses?

I've built an application (angularjs) that registers a user (creates a userid and surveykey) and sends them to LimeSurvey to collect their responses to 90+ items. I use EM to summarize the items into 9 buckets, then redirect them back to the app to see the 3x3 matrix for their results.

Since I don't know who is going to sign-up for the assessment, I setup a Dummy Participant (5,000 uses) with a token I created to use as I build the user's link. Using Panel Integration, I capture their userid and my surveykey so I can tell which survey belongs to which user.

Problem #1: Lots of incomplete surveys
This works ok, but I have a bunch of incomplete surveys! This makes me wonder if something is crashing or if the user just gets tired of 90+ items. I don't know. I have seen Safari quite working in the middle of a survey--easily fixed by refreshing the page, but that's because I know how to do that...a lot of users in the wild are unfamiliar with reloading a page!

Problem #2: User Restarts
What I do know is several users are starting over! When they login to the app, if they haven't completed the survey, I send them back to the survey to complete it before going forward. The app is worthless without a completed survey.

Are my problems caused by my approach?

Should I dynamically add users with add_participants() and get tokens from LimeSurvey instead of creating my own surveykey?

Should I use my own method to add a participant with my surveykey?

I have two more in the works, so I'd appreciate any advice as I continue to learn LimeSurvey.

Dave Phillips
The topic has been locked.
  • teracomp
  • teracomp's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #146772 by teracomp
For starters, it looks like I need to insert users into the token table upon registration AND enable token-based response persistence (from the Survey Properties, Tokens section. This solves Problem #1 as it returns the user to finish an incomplete survey. This is HUGE!

So many features in LimeSurvey...just takes a while to figure out which ones to use.

Dave Phillips
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 2 months ago #146849 by DenisChenu
Hi,

Don't think your method to create token linked to particpant change something to 1.
add_participants / autoCreateToken by plugin / hack DB directly etc ....

I have seen Safari quite working in the middle of a survey--easily fixed by refreshing the page

There are, maybe, an issue with one of your js or something else .....

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose