Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Need to change "Survey" to "Forms" in my admin home

• anuragkh1711
  • anuragkh1711's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 3 months ago #145878 by anuragkh1711
I need to change text:"Survey" on the upper right corner of admin home screen to "Forms" in my admin home. Please help
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #145879 by LouisGac
change that file:
master/application/views/admin/super/adminmenu.php

here:
github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...er/adminmenu.php#L66

But this file could be overwritten by futur updates. You can also do it via a translation file:
manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSurvey
  • anuragkh1711
More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145880 by anuragkh1711
Replied by anuragkh1711 on topic Need to change "Survey" to "Forms" in my admin home
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. That was of great help. But I just realized that I will have to do this for more than 1 pages(including home, on survey edit page and also on a live survey( the upper right corner of a live survey is "Exit this survey". I have no problem in editing every php file separately but I would I know that which php/html file I would be required to edit for respective pages?

EDIT 1: If I have to say all of the above in a nutshell then I would ask that "Is there a way to directly access the front end codes of Individual pages?"
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by anuragkh1711. Reason: I wanted to be more specific.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #145882 by LouisGac
well, you'll have to search for specific strings. In the view I wrote, in general, I add comments "<!-- ... -->" making it easier to find.
Then, you can use the search tool of your IDE, or the command grep in a terminal.
It's going to be a very long work, and you'll can't update anymore.

So, like I suggest you, just create a new translation, it will do the trick. You'll have a single file of text to modify, you'll can search and replace all the occurrence of "survey" in it.
  • anuragkh1711
More
7 years 3 months ago #145890 by anuragkh1711
Replied by anuragkh1711 on topic Need to change "Survey" to "Forms" in my admin home
Hmm...I guess I should start working on the translation. But the only problem I have is that I am a marketing guy and not a technical geek. Now, that does not mean that I am alien to codes. I am comfortable with reading and editing them.

I just went through the translation page and read about how to create a translation from scratch.

Should I start with step by step guide on how to create new translations or is there a piece of advice you would like to give me.

P.S: As of now, I am very unsure about my understanding of translations on Limesurvey.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #145891 by LouisGac
to be honest, I never did a translation myself, so I can't give you much more advice.
But here the idea:

When a string is echoed in the application via the function eT('My String') or gT('My String'), the application first look if a translation is available for it. If yes, it shows the translation, else it just echoes the string "My String".

So in English, normally, it should NOT need a translation. The string in the source code is already in english.
But, for what I see, there is an english translation file available:
translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey-25/en/default/

It's logically pretty empty. It seems that someone use it to change some uppercase/lower case issues, like:
translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesu...en/default/?page=250
Load Page => Load page

So you can use this translation file, and just update the values with a "survey" string.

So, just google to find some tutorial for poEdit. For what I remember, it's pretty easy to use, and have a search function to find a string, like "survey".
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by LouisGac.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 3 months ago #145918 by DenisChenu

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anuragkh1711
  • anuragkh1711
More
7 years 3 months ago #145957 by anuragkh1711
Tried and applied. Translation was a blessing in disguise for me. Thanks a lot for your kind support.

The only last thing I am stuck with is changing the source code of index.php page of my parent directory. In the attached screenshot, I want to change "The Online Survey Tool - Free & Open Source " to something else, And, I also do not want to divert it to LimeSurvey homepage.

Please let me know if this is possible.
Attachments:
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #145958 by LouisGac
well you're using LimeSurvey, The Online Survey Tool - Free & Open Source. You should not try to hide it, and be proud of it. :lol:
  • tpartner
More
7 years 3 months ago #145959 by tpartner
@LouisGac - A company man! :)

@anuragkh1711 - have a look at custom admin themes - manual.limesurvey.org/Custom_Admin_Theme...meSurvey_Version_2.5

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anuragkh1711
  • anuragkh1711
More
7 years 3 months ago #145960 by anuragkh1711
What is astonishing for me is the fact that LimeSurevy is offering a wide horizon of those services for which companies like survey monkey literally rob people.

Frankly, I am very proud of it and in fact, I would have donated at least something to lime survey if I would have have been enough financially strong.
In any case, that is now on my to-do list. :)

I am doing this project for someone else and all I am doing is fulfilling his requirements. I would only push further of this request only if this is feasible/allowed. Else, I got way more from lime survey than what I expected.

Thanks,
  • holch
More
7 years 3 months ago #145980 by holch
Besides money you can always donate help in the forum, extending the manual (its a wiki!), coding, bug reports/fixing, translations, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose