Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to change label for language option at language switcher ?

• letty
  • letty's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #142105 by letty
I created a survey which have more than one languages. One of the languages is Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong) and its label at language switcher is 繁體中文語系 . I would like to change label to 繁體中文.

Is there any ways to change the label at language switcher ?

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • elissa
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 5 months ago #142111 by elissa
Hi,
When I need to change locally any translated phrase, I download the mylanguage.po file from the translations page - choose the language here: translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey-25/ . The option to download is at the bottom of the screen. Then I use Poedit tool to change the translation. When I save the changes Poedit creates mylanguage.mo file (e.g. pl.mo). Then I copy this mylanguage.mo file to the LS installation on a server (to /locale/mylanguage directory). This works until next LS update because updates overwrite the server files. If you feel that the translation should be changed globally, you may suggest your own translation through translation page ( translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey-25/ ) or contact the supervisor translator.

Regards

Elzbieta Lesinska
LS voluntary Polish translator and supervisor
  • letty
  • letty's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #142113 by letty
Hi Elisa,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

Actually I am asking how could i change the label for language option (i.e. Traditional Chinese (HK)) at language switcher, not how to update the translation of system message. I tried to see if the translation of Traditional Chinese (HK) at language switcher present in .po file yet it is not found.
Kindly advise. Thank!
More
7 years 5 months ago #142120 by jelo

letty wrote: I tried to see if the translation of Traditional Chinese (HK) at language switcher present in .po file yet it is not found.

IMHO you'll have to modify the PHP code. There still can be an issue with PO translation. It' a bit tricky since the language switcher itselfs changes with the language choosen.

You'll find the language switcher items in this file:
/application/helpers/surveytranslator_helper.php

github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...lator_helper.php#L65

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose