Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Unable to save css/flat_and_modern.css in template editor

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #140759 by wedwo
I'm unable to save css/flat_and_modern.css when editing my template (which is a copy of the default template).
The only thing that comes to mind is that it's a 7000+ line file.
When I submit the changes, after some time, I get an 'connection was reset' error in my browser (Firefox 48.0) and the template doesn't appear to save. To resolve the issue and implement my changes, I had to edit the file locally on the server, save it, then copy the template and implement the template copy (implementing the template doesn't appear to get the files from the new template folder by default).

Is this possibly a php setting relating to upload size? Is there anything else I should be looking at? All other files (considerably smaller) save fine. Any assistance would be appreciated!

*EDIT* Looking at the network tab while inspecting the page on POST, 128k is transmitted but nothing returned. That does sound suspiciously like a round number. I'll check php settings...
*EDIT2* Nope - 8M upload limit with 2M file size... can't be that surely. I notice that particular template file is around 156k... I'll try making it smaller just to see if there's a threshold I need to be aware of.
*EDIT3* It stops responding when that file is around 4500 lines or bigger, so definitely related to the size of the file when submitting. It's hardly big though, so there must be a setting somewhere.

I'm running on IIS and MS SQL Server. with php 5.5 on Win server 2012 R2.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by wedwo.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 7 months ago #140765 by holch
Where is this template located? In which folder?

There might also be a limit for the PHP porcessing time, which could be a problem. Or your memory size limit.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 7 months ago #140766 by wedwo

holch wrote: Where is this template located? In which folder?

There might also be a limit for the PHP processing time, which could be a problem. Or your memory size limit.

Memory size is 128M
The template is located in the default folder (I just copied the default template). All the other files in the template submit without issue, just that one file won't submit for that template.
I'm not sure about the processing time but it would have to be ridiculously short to not be able to post a 7000 line text document I think. 4000 lines will go through - usually within a second or less...

I'll see what else I can find, if you have suggestions on what setting the processing time for php is that would be great,
Thanks!
  • tpartner
More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #140810 by tpartner
New templates should be copied to the /upload/templates/ directory.

Try setting "debug" to 1 in /application/config/config.php. This will cause the template files to be loaded directly from the template directory instead of from /tmp/assets/.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by tpartner.
More
7 years 7 months ago #140811 by wedwo

tpartner wrote: New templates should be copied to the /upload/templates/ directory.

Try setting "debug" to 1 in /application/config/config.php. This will cause the template files to be loaded directly from the template directory instead of from /tmp/assets/.

Any idea why that might help?
As mentioned, it's able to submit and update the file if it's 4000 lines or less, but 4500 or more and it doesn't succeed.
  • tpartner
More
7 years 7 months ago #140813 by tpartner
I'm not sure when the template gets compiled to /tmp but that may be the bottle-neck. Did you try it?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
7 years 7 months ago #140814 by wedwo
Not yet, but I will shortly,
Cheers

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose