Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Slow input for survey users due to array filter

• trinaisakson
  • trinaisakson's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #134722 by trinaisakson
I'm using Limeservice for hosting and have also asked them about this issue, but want to know if this is common for any host situation.

I have a multiple choice question that I use to filter the rows in future array questions. In the future questions that involve inputting text/numbers, the data entry and tabbing between entry fields is SUPER slow (over a second per key stroke). Limeservice suggested putting the questions on different pages, which I've done, but I'm still at over a second per key stroke. Is this a common issue? Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help!
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 11 months ago #134724 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Slow input for survey users due to array filter
How many lines you have in the second question ?
Do you have another settings in this question ?

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • trinaisakson
More
7 years 11 months ago #134728 by trinaisakson
Replied by trinaisakson on topic Slow input for survey users due to array filter
Thank you Denis.

The original multiple choice question has about fifty options. ("Which of these employee types do you have at your organization?")
The first slow question with an array filter has two columns for each of the employee types selected, and no other settings. ("How many part time (column 1) and full time (column 2) employees do you have in each position?")
The second (hourly wage) and third (annual salary) slow questions with an array filter asks for minimum (column1) and maximum (column 2) salaries for each employee type. These two questions are dependent on a previous answer with radio buttons asking if employees are part on an hourly or annual basis, or both depending on the position.
No other settings.
Trina
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 11 months ago #134796 by DenisChenu
Can you test with a Question by question mode ?
Just to see if it's OK.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • trinaisakson
More
7 years 10 months ago #134880 by trinaisakson
Replied by trinaisakson on topic Slow input for survey users due to array filter
Good suggestion. Just deactivated, switched to QbyQ, reactivated, tested, and it's still the same slowness when I get to the array filter numerical input questions. If you want to try for yourself, it's at trinaisakson.limequery.com/index.php/422855/lang-en .
I've switched back to Group by Group, but the issue is the same.
Thank you for your thinking on this!
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 10 months ago #134903 by DenisChenu
Hi,

Your right : lot of control in JS done at the array number question ....

Do you added another control than "numeric" ?

Maybe separate this question in 4 or more. Must test.

Denis

• trinaisakson
More
7 years 9 months ago #136623 by trinaisakson
Hi Denis,

Thank you again for your suggestions. Sorry for the delay, I was pulled away to other projects!

I have separated this problem group so that rather than in one group, there are 5 groups, but the slowness still exists.

I have the numeric control to a few of the questions that require numeric answers, but the other questions have no controls (other than the problem array filter=roles). However, they each have conditions that the questions only show up if a specific previous question was answered.

I'm trying the attach the survey structure for the full survey, but my .lss exports read as .xml and this forum won't let me upload that file format.

I'm going to try deleting a few groups and playing around to see if I can make anything work better.

Any other help is greatly appreciated! If this doesn't work I'll have to move over to Google Forms :(

Thank you again,

Trina
  • holch
More
7 years 9 months ago #136626 by holch
I think you are exporting the survey wrong, because if you export as .lss it should download as a .lss file.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• trinaisakson
More
7 years 9 months ago #136628 by trinaisakson
Things I have tested since my last post:
  1. Removed all question conditions (ie all questions show, rather than based on responses to previous questions). NO CHANGE
  2. Then deleted first two groups before the array filter questions. NO CHANGE.
  3. Then deleted last two group after the array filter questions. NO CHANGE
  4. Then deleted any questions in the remaining groups that were not filtered by array. NO CHANGE
  5. Then deleted array questions at a time until I had the original question "which types of positions do you have" and one question filtered by array "how many of each position do you have full/part time" (question type=array (numbers). NO CHANGE
  6. Then made changes to the one remaining array filter Q
  • Removed "subquestion width" for array question. NO CHANGE
  • Changed "array filter style" from hidden to disabled. WORSE!!! Changed it back to the default hidden.
  • Changed "text inputs" from yes to no. BETTER, but it's no longer a text box, it's not what I need. But selecting from the drop down is quick. Changed it back to "yes".
  • Changed question type from array (numbers) to array (text). AWESOME!! FAST!!!

However, need to find a way for respondents to only enter numbers.
  • trinaisakson
More
7 years 9 months ago #136629 by trinaisakson
Thank you for the suggestion. Here's what I am choosing.

The file ends up on my desktop as limesurvey_survey_422855.lss.xml. Changing file name to take off .xml didn't work.
  • holch
More
7 years 9 months ago #136633 by holch
Strange. This shouldn't happen, when clicking on export for .lss.

However, what is also strange is that you say you can not rename the xxx.lss.xml to xxx.lss. What system are you using?

And what Limesurvey version are you running?

To the actual problem: You might consider making a bug report, because the array numbers question shouldn't slow this down so much while array text is running just fine.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• trinaisakson
More
7 years 9 months ago #136636 by trinaisakson
Just updated to the new version. It happens in both.
I'm on Mac OSX, Safari. I can rename the file to end in .lss but the computer (and this forum) still reads it as an xml file.
Yes, think this deserves a bug report. Seems to happen both with array (numbers) and array (text) with a number-only restriction. Will do.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose