Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Array Dual Scale

• michaelji
  • michaelji's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #133538 by michaelji
Array Dual Scale was created by michaelji
I have a array dual scale question with 4 answers and a 4 point scale (2 items per scale)
for example: see screenshot

I need to restrict answers to one answer per scale.
In the example there can be only one answer selected for scale one (5 or 4) from the four answers
and one answer selected for scale two (3 or 2) from the same four answers. And the answer cannot be reused between the scales.

I'm new to LimeSurvey and not sure how to solve this. It looks like it should be possible.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 11 months ago #133542 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Array Dual Scale
No screenshot. Would be helpful, becaus I honestly don't understand your problem. In a array dual scale question you can only give one answer per scale and subquestion.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• michaelji
More
7 years 11 months ago #133549 by michaelji
Replied by michaelji on topic Array Dual Scale
Hopefully, this gets attached this time
Attachments:
  • michaelji
More
7 years 11 months ago #133550 by michaelji
This is a Word version which shows the functionality of the array we are trying to replicate.
  • holch
More
7 years 11 months ago #133551 by holch
I am still not quite sure how you want this think to work.

But I don't think it will work out of the box they way you want. You will definitely needs some Javascript to get this working.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• michaelji
More
7 years 11 months ago #133669 by michaelji
The Word document shows how it works. One can only choose two different answers and two different scales, For example they can choose "competative" 5 or 4, or 3 or 2. The example show the choice of "4" Now no other choices can be made in the 5 or 4 column, if the do, then that becomes the answer.
The actual instructions are as follows:
Each questionnaire item consists of an introductory phrase and four options which can be used to complete it. You will choose the two of these four options that describes you the best. Here's how it works:
1. Read the four options and choose the one that seems the "MOST" like you or your opinion.
2. Decide how strongly you feel about this choice. Under the MOST column for this option, choose: "5" if this option is especially like you OR "4" if this option is the most like you of the four, but you do not feel strongly about it.
3. Review the three remaining options and decide which is the "NEXT" closest to describing you or your opinion.
4. Rate how strongly you feel about this choice. Under the NEXT column, for this option, choose: "3" if this option is a reasonably accurate description of your approach OR "2" if this option is simply the closest of the three less accurate choices.

In order to produce an accurate result, it is critical that you choose either a "5" or a "4" under the MOST column, and either a "3" or a "2" under the NEXT column, for every item on the questionnaire.
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
7 years 11 months ago #133730 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Array Dual Scale
Hi Michael, as Holch indicates, this will require a JavaScript workaround. What version of LimeSurvey and what template are you using?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • michaelji
More
7 years 11 months ago #133744 by michaelji
Version 2.50+ Build 160317
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
7 years 11 months ago #133834 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Array Dual Scale
The more I look at this, the more complicated it gets. For some reason, there is no "Question validation equation" setting for dual scale arrays so there is no way to enforce one answer in each scale. As a result, all I can recommend is using two array questions with an "Array filter exclusion" on the second question.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 11 months ago #133847 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Array Dual Scale

tpartner wrote: ....
For some reason, there is no "Question validation equation" setting for dual scale arrays so there is no way to enforce one answer in each scale.

Please support this feature : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=8941 :P

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
7 years 11 months ago #133900 by holch
@tpartner:

You need to use the voting function in the bug tracker, otherwise your vote (+1) will not really be counted. I learned that the hard way as well... ;-)

More
7 years 11 months ago #133906 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Array Dual Scale

holch wrote: I learned that the hard way as well... ;-)

Which hard way? What happened?
BTW: Is there any feature request where more than 10 votes were given? Haven't seen any till today.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose