Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Hiding URL parameters while pre-filling the survey question

• raja1234
  • raja1234's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132447 by raja1234
Folks,
I use limesurvey 1.92

I knew i can pre-populate values in the survey questions by passing them in the URL with the SQGA identifier.

I've a customer survey where I'd like to load the customer email address (from another database) into the survey database when the customer takes the survey. The best way is to create a hidden question and pass the email address through the URL.

My question here is: is there any way I can hide the information that is being passed through the URL? I tried forms, posts, etc ( stackoverflow.com/questions/24459984/php...e-url-get-parameters ) but could not make it work.

I cannot pre-populate the info in tokens table as the survey is going to be without that.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks
Raja
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132448 by jelo

raja1234 wrote: I use limesurvey 1.92

Very old version. But I don't know a build in feature that would allow getting the emailadress.

But when you can prefill the URL with an emailadress, you will be able to prefill it with a token.
So I don't see why you cannot use a token based approach when you want to use to prefill the URL with an email.

Nearly every concern against token is also valid with the emailadress.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • raja1234
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132451 by raja1234
Jelo,

thanks for the response. I'm posting the survey link in my website to get feedback about different videos posted in it. (each video will have the same survey link below it) Once customers click the survey link, I need to pass information about the video they watched, their session login details (for ex: email address) to store in the survey database. I'm able to pass them right now through the URL. But I would like to hide them as the URL is becoming very lengthy.

I cannot use a token based approach because the same link is posted public to everyone.
  • raja1234
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132453 by raja1234
Here is a screenshot showing what I would like to have.

I would to like to mask the parameters that I underlined in RED. If I pass these as HIDDEN parameters, the survey fails to capture the information
Attachments:
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132463 by holch
Please keep in mind that you will probably need to inform your respondents that you pass personal information on to the survey. At least this would be good practice. Usually from a survey one expects that there is no connection between personal data and the responses, at least not for the analysis.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132464 by holch
And: As Jelo already said, you use a very old version. Most people helping out at the forum don't have access to such an old version.

Actually you shouldn't either. There have been many improvements to the software since 1.92 and also many security fixes. So you really should consider upgrading to LS 2.06.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• raja1234
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132475 by raja1234
Holch,
I do notify the customers about transferring their personal information. It is just that I dont want the email to be visible in the URL.

Yes, I should consider upgrading the system. Will I get the feature to mask the URL parameters in the latest limesurvey versions?

Thanks for your suggestions and comments!
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132480 by DenisChenu
Hi,

Actually
- LimeSurvey can be prefilled by GET parameters : like a lot of system
- Using POST parameters from external website is a security breach : CRSF can not be controlled.(since 2.05)

2 solution :
- Broke your security and make a plugin to allow prefilling by POST parameters (maybe create a token line)(since 2.05)
- Use the API to create a unique token for this user, and redirect to the start of survey with THIS token in GET param.(See recomte control)

The 2nd is the best.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • raja1234
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132484 by raja1234
Denis,

Thanks for the response and the idea. I think it makes sense to let the information flow through the URL visibly to avoid the risk of CRSF.

Thanks
Raja

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose