Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Randomization groups

• giacomopet
  • giacomopet's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132168 by giacomopet
Randomization groups was created by giacomopet
Hello everybody.
Does anyone know if it is possible to randomize groups of questions within the survey (Limesurvey 2.06)?

I have a complex survey and I have to randomly alternate whole groups of questions.

I need every respondent to answer only to 1 group of questions, out of 5, randomly.

Thank you in advance!
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 3 weeks ago #132175 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Randomization groups
Use Expression Manager to load a hidden equation type question with a random number between 1 and 5. Then you can place relevance on the groups depending on that value - manual.limesurvey.org/Creating_a_questio...groups_conditionally .

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
7 years 9 months ago #136485 by uebelhacker
Replied by uebelhacker on topic Randomization groups
Hi,

I had a very similar case: 4 out of 9 randomized question groups should be displayed (you should need just to change 4 to 1). After a long search I didn't find any useful solution, so I created one with one ugly side effect:
  1. put all question groups in the same randomization group
  2. choose one question in each question group, e.g., QG1Q1, QG2Q1 etc.
  3. use these questions in the corresponding question group for the "group relevance equation" like
    • in question group 1: "QG1Q1.gseq LT 4"
    • in question group 2: "QG2Q1.gseq LT 4"

Outcome: your question groups get displayed randomly. The gseq functions for a question returns the question group sequence number. That is, if your survey starts with your randomized question groups, gseq starts with 1. After 4 question groups the next question group in your randomization group will not be displayed and skipped. In your case use 1 in the equation instead of 4.

Ugly side effect: the progress bar is not working anymore!
@tpartner: should I file a bug or do you have any other option? Our LS version is 2.05+ Build 141210.

Thanks,
Sven.
  • tpartner
More
7 years 9 months ago #136486 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Randomization groups
There is no point in filing a bug report on version 2.05. You will need to update to 2.5 and retest.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose