Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Change language of instructions

• drokba
  • drokba's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #127402 by drokba
Change language of instructions was created by drokba
Hi, I'm trying to change the language of the instructions for the questions were people have to choose one answer. Right now it says
"Please select one answer" and I would like to put that in Spanish, since the people that will do the survey are very old and might get confused if they see that. However, I couldn't find how to do it, even manually.

Any idea?

Best
Fede
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 6 months ago #127409 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Change language of instructions
This is part of the language packages. However, in Spanish, this should be already translated. If not, here a description on how to translate this: manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSurvey

But ideally you would help to translate this part for the whole system, which needs the help of the community: translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey2

I checked and under the latest versions this string should already be translated, at least in the Spanish Spanish version: translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesu...y&sort%5Bhow%5D=desc

Also in the Argentinian Informal Spanish: translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesu...y&sort%5Bhow%5D=desc

So I assume you have either an old version or you use the Mexican Spanish as language, because here the translation is missing. translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesu...y&sort%5Bhow%5D=desc

Maybe you can have a look at the other two and see what you would use in Mexico and suggest the translation. So probably in the next version it will be included.

Unfortunately the mexican spanish version is only 88% complete (vs. Spain where it is 99%). So it would be great if you could help. Anyone can help translating LS.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
  • Away
More
8 years 6 months ago #127418 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Change language of instructions
Or maybe the survey is not in spanish but in english.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • drokba
More
8 years 6 months ago #127470 by drokba
Replied by drokba on topic Change language of instructions
So, you were not far from the actual situation. The language was set in catalan, not spanish, and my version is Versión 1.92+ Build 120718. However, when I re did the survey starting from scatch with the language of the survey set to spanish, nothing has changed. That is, I still receive the same message as before ("Please select one answer").

Is there a way to at least remove the message?

Thanks
Attachments:
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #127471 by holch
Well, your version is pretty old (more than 3 years) and obviously at that time this string wasn't translated.

As I mentioned in my first post, you can translate the string in your installation. Here is the description on how to do this again: manual.limesurvey.org/Translating_LimeSurvey

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• drokba
More
8 years 6 months ago #127480 by drokba
Replied by drokba on topic Change language of instructions
Oh...is THAT old? Anyway, so I will try to update my current version, hopefully that won't do anything to my previous surveys.

I have tried to translate the string manually but somehow I can't choose the version 1.92 from the menu ( translate.limesurvey.org/projects/limesurvey2 ), so I don't know how to do it. The alternative seems to select one and do the translation from scratch and send it to translations@limesurvey.org, however I don't exactly know why I can't send the current es file so they can update the 1.92 string.

Thanks!
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #127487 by holch
Yes, 3 years for a web application is pretty old. Especially as Limesurvey has changed quite a bit (and improved a lot in my opinion). So I really recommend to update.

As 1.92 isn't developed anymore (and as far as I know also doesn't receive any updates) it doesn't make sense to translate it via the web interface anyway.

For you the part "customizing" is more relevant. Actually the language files can be found on your installation already. You don't have to download anything. The rest of the explanation should pretty much correct. Just forget about translate.limesurvey.org, this wouldn't work for you.

You need to update your local language files, as your installation is not supported anymore.

The following user(s) said Thank You: drokba
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #127489 by holch
So this would be the part you are interested in:

Download and install poEDIT
Start poEdit end edit the [strike]downloaded [/strike]*.po file - modify the particular translations.
Save. When you save the .po file then automatically a .mo file is created too. That is the one LimeSurvey will read from.
Place the particular .mo file in the right language folder in /locale by replacing the existing one - for example for French this would be /locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/fr.po
Done.

The following user(s) said Thank You: drokba
  • tpartner
More
8 years 6 months ago #127517 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Change language of instructions

Is there a way to at least remove the message?

There should be a "Hide tip" option in advanced question settings.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose