Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Problem with mandatory / hidden questions

• dmattsavage
  • dmattsavage's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #124386 by dmattsavage
Problem with mandatory / hidden questions was created by dmattsavage
The survey I'm constructing is essentially four surveys in one -- I've built in an equation question with a random output, and depending on the output the user is directed to one of four sets of questions. This is accomplished by keeping the other 3/4 of the survey hidden.

Here's where I run into a problem: three out of the four sets of questions are hidden from the user, like I said. However, I want the one set of questions that they see to be mandatory. When I make the questions mandatory, you only see the one question you're supposed to see. So far so good. But then, when you attempt to move on to the next page, it gives the "didn't answer mandatory questions" error. It does this several times, cycling through all the (supposedly) hidden questions and forcing the user to answer all of them, even though they're supposed to remain hidden.

Here's another thing: this only happens with Array questions. Others, like multiple-choice, don't require the user to answer the mandatory hidden questions. They just move along to the next page, no problem.

Any ideas what's going on here? For research design reasons, I really need to the users to answer all questions (that is, all of the questions that they see). But my survey only works if I make the Array questions non-mandatory.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 6 months ago #124389 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Problem with mandatory / hidden questions
OK, here a few questions:
- What version of LS do you use?
- How do you hide the questions? (Relevance equation? conditions?)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • dmattsavage
  • dmattsavage's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #124560 by dmattsavage
Replied by dmattsavage on topic Problem with mandatory / hidden questions
Using 2.06+ build 150730
The hidden questions were made using conditions.
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #124562 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Problem with mandatory / hidden questions
Which template are you using? If it is a non-standard template, what happens when you switch to a standard template?

Usually, the questions hidden by conditions / relevance equations should not cause this problem.

Is it possible to upload the questionnaire as an example for us to test?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose