Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

directly accessing database during survey

• seitz01
  • seitz01's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #112200 by seitz01
Hi. For my bachelor thesis I want to implement achievements in an online survey and analyze the respondents reactions.
LimeSurvey looks very promising, but I don't know what would be the best way to implement the achievements.

Background:
For my bachelor thesis I want to implement achievements in an online survey. Eg. the user answers 50% of the questions and gets the achievement "50% answered!". During the survey there should be an overview regarding his or her unlocked and locked achievements.

What would be the best way to achieve this?

My Idea:
When the page gets loaded, a javascript queries the database for unlocked achievements and displays them.
When a Questions gets answered, a javascript looksup in the data base how many questions have been answered. If 50% of the questions have been answered, it displays the achievement. It also sets a value in the database, that the achievement has been unlocked.

I know how to execute a javascript, when a question gets answered. But how would I directly access the database in script?
Or is it possible to modify the PHP-Code? And where would be the best location to do that?
Or is there another way to achieve the described functionality?

Thanks for any help!
The topic has been locked.
  • seitz01
  • seitz01's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #112203 by seitz01
Replied by seitz01 on topic directly accessing database during survey
Rethinking my approach it would definitely be better to modify the PHP-Code.
Does anyone know how to do that?
More
9 years 6 months ago #112220 by Bigred01
Replied by Bigred01 on topic directly accessing database during survey
You can do an ajax call via javascript to a php file that runs your query then json encode the data.

Pass back any unique identifier via the php file link (ex /myphpfile.php?token={TOKEN}), grab it then use mysqli or pdo to do your query. (Do not use a plain MySQL query if you are passing data back through the link because people could potentially inject sql and you will have a very bad day).

Be weary of your php files read write permissions as well.

Hope this helps you get started.
The following user(s) said Thank You: seitz01

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose