Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Remove "No Answer?

• the_batman
  • the_batman's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #80713 by the_batman
Remove "No Answer? was created by the_batman
For some questions, the default answer is "No Answer" before the user chooses an option, but is there any way to get rid of that? I feel that by having a "No Answer" button, it gives them an option to not answer the question, thus nullifying the purpose of the survey and resulting in a loss of data. So is there any way to get rid of the "No Answer" option?

Also, would it be able to edit the tip? For ex. Instead of saying "Check any that apply", can I change it to say "Check all that apply"? The latter seems to make more sense in my opinion.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 years 9 months ago #80714 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Remove "No Answer?
Second thing first: changing default texts needs to be done via "translating" (see documentation). You could hide the tip (is an option in the advanced setting of each question and add the text yourself either in the question text itself or in the 'helptext'.

Now to "no answer". There is a setting in general settings "Show 'no answer' option for non-mandatory questions:". [Hmm, I only see this now, but this should actually be read "for mandatory questions" I think.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: azizniy
  • the_batman
  • the_batman's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 9 months ago #80715 by the_batman
Replied by the_batman on topic Remove "No Answer?
Ohhhh yup, Ok I see it now.

Thank you very much!
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
11 years 9 months ago #80733 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Remove "No Answer?

the_batman wrote: Ohhhh yup, Ok I see it now.

Thank you very much!

You're welcome :-)

If our hints have been helpful and you enjoy limesurvey please consider a donation to give Limesurvey a future .
We do all this in our free time and you don't have to pay a penny for this software.

Without your help we can't keep this project alive.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
11 years 8 months ago #82339 by dspaan
Replied by dspaan on topic Remove "No Answer?
Hi Mazi,

I have a question about this setting. We have enabled to 'no answer' option for the survey but now the 'no answer' option that is added to each question is ticked by default. Can the radio button be set to unticked so none of the radio buttons are selected?
  • Mazi
More
11 years 8 months ago #82352 by Mazi
This isn't possible without additional Javascript.

Dr. Marcel Minke
  • tpartner
More
11 years 8 months ago #82404 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Remove "No Answer?
An easier solution may be to disabled the 'no answer' option for the survey and add your own "no answer" option to each question.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
11 years 8 months ago #82766 by dspaan
Replied by dspaan on topic Remove "No Answer?
Thanks i will do the last suggestion then.
  • Mazi
More
11 years 8 months ago #82841 by Mazi
dspaan, can you help other users by adding a new "How do I remove/change the "no answer" option" to our "General FAQ" page: docs.limesurvey.org/General+FAQ&structur...tions+for+LimeSurvey ?

Would be great if you could list different solutions there.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
7 years 7 months ago #140788 by tbart
Replied by tbart on topic Remove "No Answer?
We also thought preselecting "no answer" is too suggestive for people taking the survey.

The cleanest solution I think is to not explicitly select it, directly in limesurvey's code.
The attached patch (.txt added to allow for uploading) removes this.
Based on limesurvey250plus-build160715.tar.gz

I think it would be a great addition to make this simple change switchable from the GUI (either per survey or at least globally).
Selecting "no answer" now and going back again makes the radio button be unselected again. This might be suboptimal but I don't think it's a big spoiler. It seems there's no difference between explicitly selecting "no answer" and giving no answer. Without further research, it seems both values likely result in a NULL (that is, no change whatsoever to the default value in the database). The only possibility to fix this would be to explicitly write a value to the DB indicating "no answer" has been selected. Defining such a value yourself (as a survey admin) is sometimes possible, using bipolar matrix questions (those defined by subquestion text "not at all | very much"), it is not.

The patch might be incomplete as not all question types might be covered. But you get the point.
  • Joffm
More
7 years 7 months ago #140799 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Remove "No Answer?
Hi, just one short remark:
from my decade's experience in opinion and market research:
You should never use this precoded and predelected "no answer". People like comfortable things and what is more comfortable than this preselected option to proceed in the survey without having to use your brains?
In most cases, really in most cases you can define your own "DKNA" code with the advantage that in the analysis, let's say by SPSS you have ONE "missing value" code.
And you can style it that this answer option is less suggestive (smaller font, grayed, or so)
tbart said: using bipolar matrix questions (those defined by subquestion text "not at all | very much"), it is not.
In this case I wouldn't use the pipe symbol, but have these option in the header of the matrix.

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
More
5 years 5 months ago #175518 by KompetenzZ
Replied by KompetenzZ on topic Remove "No Answer?
Hi,

I use LimeSurvey Version 3.14 now. Last year when I used LimeSurvey in Version 2.6+ there was this "show 'no answer'" button in the presentation and navigation tab of the general settings, which can be deactivated.
However, in Version 3.14 some things changed. I can't find a way to disable the "no answer" option for not mandatory questions (in my case for the questions List (Radio) and Yes/No). Is there any way to do that?

Cheers

Cheers kompetenzz

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose