Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities

• dheisner
  • dheisner's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 13 years 9 months ago #38476 by dheisner
I noticed in the release notes that version .99 added features that made limesurvey partially 508 compliant. Can anybody tell me what is NOT compliant in the latest version? I am bidding a job that requires 508 compliance and I would like to know what it will take to get in full compliance. I would be happy to donate the code back to the project, I just need to know what I am up against.

Any thoughts?
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by c_schmitz.
The topic has been locked.
  • evan
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
14 years 3 weeks ago - 14 years 3 weeks ago #38501 by evan
Hi.

I've just had a look at the 508 Compliance Website, in particular the checklist page ( www.csun.edu/~comp508/websitecheck.html ).

One thing that would have a significant effect 508 compliance is the template used for the survey. If you use a CSS based template like Limespired and Mint Idea you are probably going to be fine.

In short in it's current version, LimeSurvey can be 508 compliant.

The following is my understanding of LimeSurvey in relation to the checklist listed above:
NOTE: Below is for survey front end, not the admin interface. My brief testing of the admin interface seems to suggest that the below is mostly true for the admin interface as well (although more could be done with keyboard navigation on the admin interface)

(1) Is there a text equivalent (e.g., via "alt", "longdesc", or in element content) for every non-text element?
This is content and template related and can be controlled by the end user/admin
The only image that LimeSurvey inserts is the help image which does contain an alt of "help"

(2) For any multimedia presentations, are there equivalent text alternatives and are they synchronized with the presentation?
NA - Content related - survey creators need to be aware of this requirement.
By default Yes

(3) Is all information conveyed with color also available without color (e.g. from context or markup)?
Mostly content and template related.
LimeSurvey error and special note messages are identified by classes use colour. However the colour of the text us used to hightlight meaning rather than change it.

(4) Are documents organized so they are readable without requiring an associated style sheet?
Content and template related. (By documents I assume they mean downloadable documents e.g. PDFs, Word Docs, etc)

(5) Are redundant text links provided for each active region of a server-side image map?
NA - Content and template related.
By default LimeSurvey doesn't use server-side image maps.

(6) Are row and column headers identified for data tables?
Yes - but more could be done to improve this
The <TH> tags should all have unique IDs and the <TD> tags should all include the 'headers' attribute ( www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#adef-headers ) and the 'headers' attribute should list the IDs of all the tag that cell refers to.

(7) Are frames titled with text that facilitates frame identification and navigation?
By default LimeSurvey doesn't utilise any Frames

(8) Does the software avoid using flashing or blinking text, objects, and other elements having a flash or blink frequency greater than 2 Hz and lower than 55 Hz?
By default LimeSurvey doens't have flashing text.

(9.a) Is a text-only page, with equivalent information or functionality, provided? (This is to ensure that a web site complies when compliance cannot be accomplished in any other way.)
Content and template related.
By default LimeSurvey doens't need this functionality as it is primarily text based.

(9.b) Is the content of the text-only page updated whenever the primary page changes?
Content and template related.

(10) If pages utilize scripting languages to display content, or to create interface elements, is the information provided by the script identified with functional text that can be read by assistive technology?
This I'm not 100% sure about but I think "Yes"

(11) If electronic forms are designed to be completed on line, does the form allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements and functionality required for completion and submission of the form, including all directions and cues?
Yes for most questions I've tried. There are a couple of question types that may be a problem:
The Date question pops up a JavaScript calendar box which is not keyboard navigable.
The "Multiple Numerical Input (slider layout)" and "Ranking Question" question drop keyboard navigation in a black hole which can not be gotten out of.
(12) Is a method provided that permits users to skip repetitive navigation links?
Template related

(13) If a timed response is required, is the user alerted and given sufficient time to indicate more time is required?
LimeSurvey does support timed responses but I've never used it. So can't say.
If timed responses are not used, then Yes.

(14) If the software is designed to run on a system that has a keyboard, are product functions executable from a keyboard where the function itself or the result of performing a function can be discerned textually?
NA

My one recommendation is that perhaps LS has a config setting that makes LS fully 508 compliant by limiting its functionality.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by evan.
  • dheisner
  • dheisner's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 3 weeks ago #38529 by dheisner
Replied by dheisner on topic 508 Compliance for people with disabilities
Evan,

Thank you so much for the outstanding response! It was extremely helpful in understanding LimeSurvey's 508 capabilities.

I greatly appreciate it!

Danny
More
10 years 1 week ago #105969 by telesytems
Replied by telesytems on topic 508 Compliance for people with disabilities
keep updating such type of information in future too.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
10 years 1 week ago #105977 by Mazi

telesytems wrote: keep updating such type of information in future too.

We are planning to implement a real template engine at Limesurvey 2.1 or 2.2 and will try to update this information then.
Feel free to remind us in some months if we forget about it.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • DenisChenu
More
10 years 1 week ago #106088 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic 508 Compliance for people with disabilities
Hi,

For actual LimeSurvey (2.05), we made a lot of update to have more 508 and RGAA system. And we try to fix some other accessibility real issue for real user too.
There are some question and attribute need more 'fix and update ' (upload is an exemple), but you can put bug report.
If you find one 508 issue in some condition : please put a bug report for each 508 issue (if you found 3 different issue : put 3 bug report).

Thanks,
Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
9 years 1 month ago #116989 by lstrange
Replied by lstrange on topic 508 Compliance for people with disabilities
On this one 508 item:
If electronic forms are designed to be completed on line, does the form allow people using assistive technology to access the information, field elements and functionality required for completion and submission of the form, including all directions and cues?
Yes for most questions I've tried. There are a couple of question types that may be a problem
I noticed you've included hidden labels for screen readers to read short text which does read them, but unfortunately, the hidden label for all them is "answer" (which is not the correct label for each one).
I also have a dropdown menu on my survey and that one has no label. Is there a special step I need to do in order to make the hidden labels load correctly? Thanks!
  • Mazi
More
9 years 1 month ago #116990 by Mazi

lstrange wrote: I noticed you've included hidden labels for screen readers to read short text which does read them, but unfortunately, the hidden label for all them is "answer" (which is not the correct label for each one).
I also have a dropdown menu on my survey and that one has no label. Is there a special step I need to do in order to make the hidden labels load correctly? Thanks!

Please file a bug report at our bugtracker and we will try to fix this by populating the labels with the correct strings.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
9 years 1 month ago #116992 by lstrange
Replied by lstrange on topic 508 Compliance for people with disabilities
I have done so. Thank you.
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 1 month ago #117010 by DenisChenu

lstrange wrote: I noticed you've included hidden labels for screen readers to read short text which does read them, but unfortunately, the hidden label for all them is "answer" (which is not the correct label for each one).

Hi.

Maybe we lost some label for the dropdown ?

For the hidden label : need question type. For short text etc ... need a greater update than actually ... very difficult dev with actual solution.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 8 months ago #122528 by DenisChenu
Hi,

If someone can test git.framasoft.org/SondagePro-LimeSurvey-...in/moreAccessibility . Some part to be included in next release as bug fix.

Denis

• DenisChenu
More
7 years 3 months ago #144732 by DenisChenu
Hi ,

Actual develop version update is for accessibility and usage of "aria".

I start working on it yesterday : removing 'uneeded lable' and use aria-labelledby : see this link on our bug report system : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=11910

Currently : only question text are put in labelledby, i don't find a core good way to add 'help' and 'em help' in aria-describedby. Maybe an improvment is done after.

Then, help are welcome to test the new system : testing.sondages.pro/answershtml/ . A lot of question (and a lot in french) ... but i can import any lss file for testing in it.

Denis

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose