Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Access Limesurvey per user / per survey data from Wordpress via API interface

• linuxhooligan
  • linuxhooligan's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 months 20 hours ago - 2 months 20 hours ago #257485 by linuxhooligan
Please help us help you and fill where relevant:
Your LimeSurvey version: Version 5.6.55+240220
Own server or LimeSurvey hosting: self hosted
Survey theme/template: Fruity
==================
We have successfully developed a number of surveys on the 5.x version and are really impressed by the capabilities of the system.  The ExpressionScript feature allows us to even create some basic reports and display results using Chartjs.  

We are now getting a bit more ambitious.  I would like to explore the following.

1) We have a Wordpress membership site.  Each user has their own account and their own per user content on the site.

2) We run Limesurvey on the same server and it is local to the Wordpress instance.

3) We would like to explore integration possibilities between Wordpress and Limesurvey.  Some thoughts:

a) Can Wordpress users "somehow" be integrated with Limesurvey so that when a user logs into their Wordpress account, they can take a survey and those results are stored in a way that are unique to that Wordpress user?  What might be required for the integration to be automated so that whenever a new user is added to the Wordpress site the integration treats them as a unique user on the Limesurvey system?

Note: I am reading up on Tokens / Survey Participants as per:  manual.limesurvey.org/Survey_participants/en

I am looking for the big picture explanation on how to think about what is possible and how this might be done.  Also, I have Googled this question many times over the last while but no one seems to actually integrate Wordpress with Limesurvey in any significant way.

b) If per user integration from Wordpress is possible, could we access the users results via the API (or other?) interfaces from Wordpress and display the data directly in Wordpress?  If yes, would a user be able to fill out the survey multiple times and would we be able to query the historical survey data to analyze trends?

I am reading through the Remote Control API documentation here:  manual.limesurvey.org/RemoteControl_2_API

As per above, I am looking for high level opinions on if this can be done and how to think about it, perhaps suggestions on what else I should read, etc.

SUMMARY: We are really amazed by Limesruvey and love that it acts ONLY as a survey platform and does not try to add on reporting or other specialized tools.  We have also recently become quite enamored with Wordpress (and it's ecosystem) especially with the speed on hosts that do hosting right.  I am wanting to explore the potential for Wordpress to act as a kind of frontend for the data that Limesurvey hosts and stores.  There are plenty of API and reporting plugins, it feels like this should be fairly doable.

With apologies for rambling, any thoughts comments or critiques are welcome.  I am not looking for any handholding, just an expert "we have done this successfully, hey look at think, think about it this way, this is possible / this isn't, look over there for more info" bit picture guidance so I can get a better handle on how something like this might work.

Thanks!
Last edit: 2 months 20 hours ago by linuxhooligan.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
2 months 18 hours ago - 2 months 18 hours ago #257498 by holch

What might be required for the integration to be automated so that whenever a new user is added to the Wordpress site the integration treats them as a unique user on the Limesurvey system?

Your concept of "users" in limesurvey seems to wrong. "Users" in the sense of "respondents" do not have a login in Limesurvey. Login is only for "users" in the sense of "Survey admins", people with access to the LS backend who can create surveys, etc.

the only thing that is getting somehow close to a login for survey takers is the token / participant system. But this is also on a per survey basis and not really on a "user/token/participant" basis. So this part of the equation you would have to do in Wordpress.

I am not an expert on this type of work, but I imagine you could give each of your users a specific token, used by them in all surveys that they are taking. As token you could for example use their membership ID or something.

The rest of all you describe would have to happen on Wordpress from the members page, where you query limesurvey via the API and check for which surveys there is data for a specific member.

And yes, they could fill in the survey various times, if you allow so (keyword uses left). You would then have to see how to get the different data sets (and timestamps) via API for this specific user. From my limited knowledge this should be doable via the API, but I am sure Tpartner and Denis can give you more insights. They might actually be available for hiring to implement this for you (they are Limesurvey Partners).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 2 months 18 hours ago by holch.

• tpartner
More
2 months 16 hours ago #257503 by tpartner

...(they are Limesurvey Partners).
Not me. :)

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

• holch
More
2 months 16 hours ago #257505 by holch

Not me. :)

Ohh, I was under the impression. Now I know!

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• linuxhooligan
  • linuxhooligan's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 4 weeks ago #257650 by linuxhooligan
Just dropping back in her to forward my thank you for your reply. I had to think through this a bit as you were right, my understanding of Limesruvey memberships was wrong and your explanation helped me visualize some of the mechanics here.

I appreciate the help and if we manage to get anything useful happening we might look at contributing it, even if it is just knowledge.

Thank you.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose