Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Scoring and Reporting

• Joffm
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #258121 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Scoring and Reporting

If I created a Hidden Equation, then it's hidden.  How would you test that it's working?

Of course, it is not hidden.

Initially you do NOT hide the equation.
You set "Always hide this question  OFF"
So it is visible to test.
When everything is fine and you publish the survey you hide the equation with the setting "Always hide this question  ON".

Ideally, we'd like some text that gives advice based on the answer supplied, but we also need to download ALL the participants' responses (with Scores, ofc), so that we could do deeper analysis, such as the Average Score for companies in the Construction sector for each question, etc.

We know that.
And to be honest, IT IS EASY.
ExpressionScript is nothing else what we all learned at school.
{12+23+1} will display 36, or you say {sum(12,23,1)}
You use some functions to calculate things.
To sum things you use the function sum(), to count you use the function count(). And you use the same operators like "+", "-", "*", "/"
Additgionally there are some "special" functions and variables that ease your life, like "sumif()", "sumifop)", "countif()", "countifop)" and the ".that" variable, which can shorten some functions immensely.
And for your scoring you do not need more.

I often advice to use a "container", a question of type "multiple short text" or "multiple numeric" with as many subquestions as you want to calculate scores.
Then you only need one question of type "equation" where you calculate the scores and write it into this "container, like
{QCont_1=sum(Q1.valueNAOK,Q2.valueNAOK,Q3.valueNAOK)/100}
{QCont_2=sum(that.Q4.valueNAOK,that.Q5.valueNAOK)/count(that.Q4.NAOK,that.Q5.NAOK)}
all in one question
​​​​​​​Only one "=" because you assign a value and do not compare.

But unfortunately you still neither provided the survey with the final assessment values (you know, multiplied *100, or so) nor a plan which questions belong to one score, which to another.
like (just an example)
score1: Sum of Q2, Q4, Q13(subquestions Y1,Y2,Y4,Y5) and Q14; if <20 "You can improve", if<40,"Well done" else "Super fantastic, great"
score2: Mean of Q5, Q6; if <2 "You can improve" else "Super fantastic, great"
​​​​​​​
As written several times.
We can not help without the information.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #258127 by Joffm
Small example to show what I tried to explain
1. A simple array with
  • normal and reverse items
  • assessment values (in brackets)

2. The "equation" question
{QCont_1=sum(that.Q1.NAOK)}
{QCont_2=sum(that.Q1.valueNAOK)/100}
{QCont_3=sum(that.Q1.NAOK)/count(that.Q1.NAOK)}
{QCont_4=sum(that.Q1.valueNAOK)/count(that.Q1.NAOK)/100}
{QCont_5=sum(sum(that.Q1.sq_N.NAOK),count(that.Q1.sq_R.NAOK)*6,-1*sum(that.Q1.sq_R.NAOK))}
{QCont_6=sum(sum(that.Q1.sq_N.NAOK),count(that.Q1.sq_R.NAOK)*6,-1*sum(that.Q1.sq_R.NAOK))/count(that.Q1.NAOK)}{QCont_7=countifop(">","2",that.Q1.NAOK)}
{QCont_8=countifop(">","0",that.Q1.valueNAOK)}

3. The "container" where you store the results
4. The text depending on the value

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.

• BITCNI
  • BITCNI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #258451 by BITCNI
Replied by BITCNI on topic Scoring and Reporting
Thank you so much for all the help you've provided. I think one of the problems is that I don't understand the 'back end' of LS. For example, when you say the "Container", my next question would be "Where do I go to create 'Containers'?".

I realize that I may have been able to spend an hour or so reading and another hour or so practicing, but there seems to be so much trial and error involved on my part, and as a novice, I could just foresee so many more questions and mistakes on my part.

We also have to launch this Survey in April, and we're already in the 2nd week of March, so time is tight.

I did reach out to a LS Developer, and we're getting a quote to implement this scoring and reporting, which is just more more logical at this late stage in the game.

We will have more surveys to do, so I'm sure I'll be back here again with (I hope) simpler questions about those surveys.

I REALLY do appreciate all the time and effort you've put into trying to help, but this was just too much for a novice when there's so little time left.

Thank you again so much for everything. You've been really kind.

• Joffm
  • Away
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #258530 by Joffm

I often advice to use a "container", a question of type "multiple short text" or "multiple numeric" with as many subquestions as you want to calculate scores.

I used this word "Container" to describe something where I can store many things in one place, like a real container.
And as this "container" you can use any question that allows the storage of multiple items, like
"multiple short text"
"multiple numerical input"
"array(text)"
"array(numbers)"

You saw the example where I stored the results of several equations into the "container", which is in this case a "multiple numerical input".
This is obvious:
It's a question (QCont) with subquestions (1,2,3,4,5,...)
The display is right aligned -> numbers

I see the advantage: Only one question of type "equation" needed and one question to store the results

We also have to launch this Survey in April, and we're already in the 2nd week of March, so time is tight.

I don't remember, how many times we asked for your final survey and an explanation which question have to be scored, in which way, where to display the result, etc.

But unfortunately you still neither provided the survey with the final assessment values (you know, multiplied *100, or so) nor a plan which questions belong to one score, which to another.
like (just an example)
score1: Sum of Q2, Q4, Q13(subquestions Y1,Y2,Y4,Y5) and Q14; if <20 "You can improve", if<40,"Well done" else "Super fantastic, great"
score2: Mean of Q5, Q6; if <2 "You can improve" else "Super fantastic, great"

As written several times.
We can not help without the information.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Joffm.

• BITCNI
  • BITCNI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
1 month 1 week ago #258628 by BITCNI
Replied by BITCNI on topic Scoring and Reporting
Sorry if I misunderstood something you said, but I inferred that I was still going to have to create the containers and do the scoring. Was I wrong to infer that. Did you mean that if I had supplied the Questions with Scores that you were going to create the Survey for us?

If I misunderstood you, then I'm really sorry, and that was beyond kind. Definitely my bad, then :(

• holch
More
1 month 1 week ago #258633 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Scoring and Reporting

Did you mean that if I had supplied the Questions with Scores that you were going to create the Survey for us?

He means that he would have helped you to get where you needed to get.

That is what we were talking about. Once you would have given us real life examples, we would have been able to show you how to do the scoring, etc.

We wouldn't have created the survey for you, but we would have given you the knowledge to do it.

Once you would have understood the idea behind all this, you would have easily created your own survey.

And with specific questions, you could have always come to the forum.

I think that is what Joffm wanted to say.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BITCNI

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose